What's your favourite fuzz... This week?!

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

windjamma

Re: What's your favourite fuzz... This week?!

Post by windjamma »

Pigdog space face navigator nkt 275 #1, since i missed out on the fuzzy haskins lol
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

I'm enjoying my Creepy Fingers Fuzz Face :party:
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

vanguard wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:56 pm I'm enjoying my Creepy Fingers Fuzz Face :party:
Of all my fuzzes, I come back to the one-knobber brad built to sound like his '66 FF (which I think also belonged to mr Main in the past?).
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

rootfifthoctave wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:36 am
vanguard wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:56 pm I'm enjoying my Creepy Fingers Fuzz Face :party:
Of all my fuzzes, I come back to the one-knobber brad built to sound like his '66 FF (which I think also belonged to mr Main in the past?).
Nice! I think he tuned mine to that same '66 unit :cheers:

jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

Maybe a stupid question, but how close are hybrid FF's to ge ones?
rootfifthoctave

vanguard wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:43 pm
then yours must also sound fuckin amazing!!! compared to the creepyface, it's less gainy and trebly, it's more [massive sigh] "v i n t a g e"-sounding
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

rootfifthoctave wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:24 pm
vanguard wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:43 pm
then yours must also sound fuckin amazing!!! compared to the creepyface, it's less gainy and trebly, it's more [massive sigh] "v i n t a g e"-sounding
That's an ace description, mate! Mine's dark, moody, and med-low gain . . . exactly what I want out of this circuit! Otherwise, just gimme an MK1.5.

vanguard

Post by vanguard »

jetofuj wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:48 pm Maybe a stupid question, but how close are hybrid FF's to ge ones?
Totally depends on how they're tuned, and in what order the si/ge arrangement is. I've heard hybrids that sound ge as fuck. Generally, though, you still won't get all the slow, lumbering qualities of ge with even one si in the circuit, in my experience. It's weird too, because hybrid ff are generally arranged so the si isn't doing much clipping, it's just kicking the ge in the balls.

jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

I really dig FF on bass. I built few low gain germanium ones and with a bit of volume rolled off, I got the most amazing "amp-like" overdriven tones. But of course it doesn't really work that good in band setting. That's why I was thinking about a hybrid - to give it a bit more presence in the mix, but retain some of ge character. I've check Brad's short clips of his FF's and I don't really dig hybrids and silicons that much. Germanium all the way :freakout:
rootfifthoctave

the hybrid mostratono (Creepy Fingers vox TB-type fuzz) is incredible and has amazing cleanup. Doesn't get the bluesey cleans like a restrained FF, but goes from full fuzzy down to crunchy/gritty