1967 Marshall 200 Major aka Pig demo

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

jerms

Re: 1967 Marshall 200 Major aka Pig demo

Post by jerms »

mercury magnetics make OR200 transformers.. didn't those have partridges? maybe those would work..
jerms

Post by jerms »

here's the pic of the one with the bypass cap and 820R cathode resistors...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (184.09 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
sciencefriction

Post by sciencefriction »

jerms wrote:mercury magnetics make OR200 transformers.. didn't those have partridges? maybe those would work..
They make 200W transformers for Hiwatt models too, probably the same thing. IIRC both amps used Partridge originally. My attenuator can only handle 100W, and I don't want to buy another one.

Hmm, reading what Pleximaster said about the one with the 820R cathode resistors, I'm inclined to think they are original. I'm glad he's including all the variations with his layout.
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

I saw that, but wasn’t that a complete rebuild as well, new boards, transformers, the whole deal?
I think both amps were mostly based on vintagekiki’s schematic, and might not necessary represent the ‘real/correct’ Pig circuit.
Beautiful work though!
sciencefriction

Yeah, there is still a lot of rebuilding going on. It seems like we'll never really know what the original design is with 100% certainty.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I'll build the treehouse if you guys bring the gear! :hihi:

I have always wanted to try a pig, as I am a big fan of Ronson. I had an old Sound City SMF Tour series that had Partridges in it and I am guessing that the transformers from that would also work. This particular amp was rated at 150 watts and used 8 EL34s.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
jerms

Post by jerms »

i was under the impression that that that pig waa mostly original just needed filters and a transformer... he said the preamp was pretty complete....
sciencefriction

1bottlerocket wrote:I'll build the treehouse if you guys bring the gear! :hihi:

I have always wanted to try a pig, as I am a big fan of Ronson. I had an old Sound City SMF Tour series that had Partridges in it and I am guessing that the transformers from that would also work. This particular amp was rated at 150 watts and used 8 EL34s.
By the time I finishing building my amp (Eternia will be ruled by He-Man's son by then), I'd let welcome fellow D*A*Mers to play it.

8 EL84s, woh. That sounds intense!
jerms wrote:i was under the impression that that that pig waa mostly original just needed filters and a transformer... he said the preamp was pretty complete....
Oh cool, that's awesome! :dance:
jerms

Post by jerms »

quote from pleximaster....

"Spoke to a guy on the phone yesterday and he used to own a Pig in the 80´s. He made a schematic of the amp he had before he sold it and he has compared it to the Vintagekiki schematic and they are more or less the same, however a few minor differences that he said was original. The 1k5 resistors going to pin 3 and 8 on V1 and V2 were all 820 ohms and the fist cathode resistor had a 500uF cathode capacitor, a bit similar to other marshalls. Wouldn't this increase gain a lot?

I have seen pictures of other pigs with a cathode capacitor but did´t know if they were original or not. Here is one with a 500uF capacitor, it has the 1k5 resistors though...

One more thing I forgot
He had a 2 Meg Master volyme pot, a 1 meg linear Treble volume pot and a 1 meg Log Bass Master volume pot. I wonder what the effect this will have on the blending of the different channels.

I am starting to think that we have quite a few interesting variations in of the Pigs preamps."
sciencefriction

Interesting that there would be so much variation, given how small the run of amps were. Certainly not unlike Marshall, but still interesting.