Hendrix woodstock wah videos

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

redeyeflight

Re: Hendrix woodstock wah videos

Post by redeyeflight »

Do we have a basic timeline for when the square TDK inductors were put in to use? Id only assume it was after jimi's death?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

I have no idea, but isn't it cute how there is a back story that explains how Hendrix got a later Wah in 1969? :badteeth:
Everything is transitional.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

JMI went bust 1969 so jen continued the Italian wahs with fasel inductors. Thomas organ went it alone as the agreement with Italy had now been broke and made there's with TDK. I'd say late 69 early 70. It's possible but... I call BS
rafmax

Post by rafmax »

:badteeth: Does late 69 include August 69 ? :badteeth:
Electric Warrior

Weren't most of the late 60's italian ones made for Thomas Organ?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah, jen made them for Europe/Jennings and USA/Thomas organ until Jennings went out of buisness.
Actually I think the JMI Company folded in 1968... so a 1969 TDK Thomas organ wah is very possible. Stu recently informed me the TO enclosures were then made with different dimensions similar to what Dunlop use today. The Jen Italians stopped using the trash can around 70-71 I'm guessing and moved onto the cheaper fasel. Keeping with the same Italian enclosure bar a indent under the board on the inside. For what purpose that was for I don't know.
2guests

Post by 2guests »

I do like the smoking the joint through a power resistor part of the story.
"I'm gonna give you something to bathe for." -Chuck Berry

"You sure it's not a jerms clone? How do we even know anymore?" -HorseyBoy
Electric Warrior

Doc Holliday wrote:Yeah, jen made them for Europe/Jennings and USA/Thomas organ until Jennings went out of buisness.
Actually I think the JMI Company folded in 1968... so a 1969 TDK Thomas organ wah is very possible. Stu recently informed me the TO enclosures were then made with different dimensions similar to what Dunlop use today. The Jen Italians stopped using the trash can around 70-71 I'm guessing and moved onto the cheaper fasel. Keeping with the same Italian enclosure bar a indent under the board on the inside. For what purpose that was for I don't know.
But why would there have been a necessity for Thomas to stop having pedals made in Italy when JMI folded? :hmm:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Good point. Maybe it was costing to much to commission Jen to make them and send them over? Maybe they didn't realise how big the wah pedal would get when they went into the agreement with Jennings and Jen and once the agreement was broke they were glad? I'm not sure.
I believe Thomas organ moved production completely to Sepulveda, California and Chicago, Illinois in 68/69
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Remember Jen were not exclusively making these wahs for TO and JMI. As stated on the early Clydes it was patent pending jen also made them for Gretsch and other companies. Maybe they did it so they could patent it to stop others copying the design.

I'm guessing these were very close in age