Marshall Plexi: Metro, Germino, Ceriatone, reissue(?!)

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

sluttyindian

Marshall Plexi: Metro, Germino, Ceriatone, reissue(?!)

Post by sluttyindian »

Ive been having wet dreams about Marshalls lately and I want to buy a super lead plexi. However would like to get some opinions from my favourite website before I make a decision (you guys help me with all my big life problems, you should consider charging me)

From my intense research that I've been doing at work instead of actual work, the reissues don't really hold a candle to the wind (is that the expression?).

Anyone here had any good experience with a plexi clone? I had negative soldering/building skills so kits are out of the option.

Theres a local builder here by the name of Achilles who makes a plexi clone with good components but there aren't any clips or reviews about em (http://www.achilliesamps.com/)

Cheers :cheers:
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
burgersalad14

Re: Marshall Plexi: Metro, Germino, Ceriatone, reissue(?!)

Post by burgersalad14 »

sluttyindian wrote:Ive been having wet dreams about Marshalls lately and I want to buy a super lead plexi. However would like to get some opinions from my favourite website before I make a decision (you guys help me with all my big life problems, you should consider charging me)

From my intense research that I've been doing at work instead of actual work, the reissues don't really hold a candle to the wind (is that the expression?).

Anyone here had any good experience with a plexi clone? I had negative soldering/building skills so kits are out of the option.

Theres a local builder here by the name of Achilles who makes a plexi clone with good components but there aren't any clips or reviews about em (http://www.achilliesamps.com/)

Cheers :cheers:
Barry Marie of Barwatt Amplification makes killer amps locally as well :crackjam: :bong2:

http://www.carltonguitars.com.au/postin ... rplexi.htm
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

Those Barwats look kinda meh to me to be honest :idunno: (build-wise anyway, can’t speak for the sound of course).
Metroamp would definitely be a good choice. Colby also makes some great (looking) amps
Tone Balls in 3, 2, 1 … :hihi:
Rygar

Post by Rygar »

I mostly use my Super Lead as a loud, clean amp to play my Super Fuzzes and Big Muffs through and for that I am happy with this mid 90's SLP reissue. Look for a cheap one.

For cranking up the amp and getting a main part of your dirt with the Marshall I would definitely be looking at a 70's original or accurate clone. Although for that I prefer JCM800.
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

Cornell, Metro, Germino would be my go-tos...

but i'd prob avoid the metro-plex... try to find one of his Block-ends... they're incredible..!
the cornell 45/50 is also a great piece of kit.
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
burgersalad14

Post by burgersalad14 »

i was in a bad mood lol sorry
Last edited by burgersalad14 on Thu May 04, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

Yeah Coolhand I thought as much. Do metros and germinos come up second hand in AU often? A germino shipped from USA is $$$ and Metro isn't making the plexi replicas for the time being.

Theres a second hand 1959SLP reissue near by work that I might jump on...
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

sluttyindian wrote:Yeah Coolhand I thought as much. Do metros and germinos come up second hand in AU often? A germino shipped from USA is $$$ and Metro isn't making the plexi replicas for the time being.

Theres a second hand 1959SLP reissue near by work that I might jump on...
unfortunately they don't... but you do find good deals on cornells on reverb... to the point where it'd be worth paying the shipping...

i'd dodge the 1959SLP unless it was dead cheap... like really fuckin' cheap... you just gotta hang out and be ready to pounce when one pops up...

there were a few Metro's for sale not too long ago... but i'm not sure if they sold or he hung on to them, the price was a little high but not to the point of being
unfair or whatever...
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

of course those Friedman's at deluxe are a bit fucking special too... ;)
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

http://www.ausband.com.au/modules.php?n ... &p=2858678

this guy has a couple of nice ones for sale.
he has a cornell like mine but the head version - i'd ask for a little less than that...
avoid the 2 vintage ones, they've been butchered...
the mojave looks reasonable too..