Marshall Plexi: Metro, Germino, Ceriatone, reissue(?!)

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

sluttyindian

Re: Marshall Plexi: Metro, Germino, Ceriatone, reissue(?!)

Post by sluttyindian »

I really want a Metro 10,000 but it might be a bit out of my price range, after tax and shipping from the US (when george eventually starts building them again). I mean at that price I may as well try to find an early 70s model. Its pretty cheap but I will see if I can get a better deal out of him, if the price is right I may just jump on it

The friedman's are pretty darn expensive and they dont really have a 1 channel n-mv head which has my interest. Still if Deluxe was around the corner I wouldnt mind trying them out ;)
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
Radiotron

Post by Radiotron »

burgersalad14 wrote:
Radiotron wrote:Those Barwats look kinda meh to me to be honest :idunno: (build-wise anyway, can’t speak for the sound of course).
Metroamp would definitely be a good choice. Colby also makes some great (looking) amps
Tone Balls in 3, 2, 1 … :hihi:
Considering you just use a stamp and don't bother to put any effort into the presentation of your pedals i find it quite hilarious that you find something "meh" and will shit talk something that you haven't even tried out. But hey you still want people to buy your stuff yeah? Guess its cred building?
Hey hey, easy now, I wasn't exactly slamming him was I?
I was only commenting on the construction of the amp, which, in my opinion doesn't really compare to the other plexi builders mentioned.
Like I said, I can't speak for its sound, for all I know they sound great.

I think the OP is looking for a true replica and there's others that just do that better.

Ps. Thanks for the input, I always appreciate an honest opinion :tu:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah guts do the talking surely and Radiotrons are up there with the best! Killer. Tone to match.

I've had a fare few marshalls... the reissue stuff was ok I thought. I've had a ceriatone 1974x type and jtm45 which were also good. To be honest marshalls are loud. Even the 18w ceriatone was loud. My original jcm800 deafened me at 2 on the volume.
I had a YJM plexi which was in a major cabinet for all the attenuator and inbuilt boost etc I think? It weighed more than my car.

Just a friendly insight to owning marshalls. Make sure you have the space to crank. I'm not an attenuator fan but Toneking do the best I've heard if it needs taming.

I had a Marshall vintage modern which was the best modern Marshall I owned.

I know you mentioned clones but they made pretty good amps up until jim died imo.
I almost went for a Metro but couldn't justify the £2000 just to plug pedals into cause I could barely get it on 3 without upsetting people.
bazguitar

Post by bazguitar »

i've had a number of Plexi Marshalls over the years and
if you can find one in good condition Vintage is BEST
the old Transformers etc give you warmth and thump that the re-issues don't :tu:
I had a 60's Plexi JTM45
a couple of 60's Plexi super leads
my keeper is this Mini blues breaker 2x 10 combo :headbanger:
Attachments
mini bluesbreaker 1.jpg
mini bluesbreaker 1.jpg (70.84 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
mim bluesbreaker 2.jpg
mim bluesbreaker 2.jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
mini bluesbreaker 3.jpg
mini bluesbreaker 3.jpg (45.74 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
Last edited by bazguitar on Thu May 04, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Very cool amps!
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

I was jonesing for a vintage Marshall and was doing some comparison shopping. Seems if you're patient enough, you could get a mid 70s PCB Marshall for the same money as a Metro, Germino, etc... I know it's PCB vs hand wired turret, and slightly different circuits, etc..., but you're getting vintage iron and vintage Marshall. Just a thought.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I would tend to think that any of these would make a fine Plexi clone. A lot has been said about transformers in this thread, and while its true that *output* transformers affect the overall sound, theres nothing to say that any one manufacturers iron is better than another, or even that they are inferior to the original issue. Any decent output transformer nowadays is made using vintage construction techniques to try and replicate the old ones. You want something made to the proper specs most of all, and I think any of the manufacturers cited will get you there. Here's what I would think about, as well...

Tubes - You might not be able to find a good matched quad of vintage EL34s, but youre just gonna wear those out anyway. Preamp tubes are another thing all together. Spring for a nice NOS 12AX7 or two and put em in V1 and V2.

Speakers - Speakers are everything. You could have Hendrix's actual amp through cheap Celestions and it'll sound like cheap Celestions. Pair it with the right cab for the sound you want. Ive been a fan of this guy's youtube channel lately, and he really gets into speakers. Check him out: https://www.youtube.com/user/JohanSegeborn

sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

Thanks for all the info guys, it's been really helpful!

@Tony - yeah man I love Johan, his videos are great
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
ZaidAli95

Post by ZaidAli95 »

I use a 74 jmp. I'm a big fan of them with 2x12s. After 73, the jmps usually cost 1800-2200$ cdn
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I have had a few Marshall amps come through my hands and replicas. I still my my '73 Lead and Bass, which I absolutely love for low power output tube distortion.

I have also had a small box 50 watt, a Park 50 watt combo, and a metal panel Super Bass. I have also had a Germino Classic 45, Fillmore 100, and a Lead 55 LV. In the end, for my money, I would get another Germino without even thinking about it too hard. If you're after plexi tones the Lead 55LV has it covered to the end of the road. If you want classic rock crunch I would try and score a Classic 45. I think that is one of the best amps on the market and a real sleeper in the Germino line up. You can really make that thing sing.

I would still love to try out the Germino Monterey 100 and his new Lead 35 and Bass 35 models. The Cornell amps looks super tasty too. The one I have always wanted to try out is the Plexi 18/20 head. If it checked out, I would sell my tweaked out Lead and Bass and replace it with that.

I also agree with Doc Balls. Speaker choice is also going to make a huge impact on your tone. I wouldn't sell my '73 1x12 ported cab unless it was an absolute last possible solution. Those that know me know I am not a vintage only by any stretch of the imagination but those old Celestion speakers are really nice. My next choice would be Austin Speaker Works Crossroads model.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty