Cornish P1/P2/...?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

freddy_von

Cornish P1/P2/...?

Post by freddy_von »

I've been thinking for a while about grabbing a Cornish style Muff, but have been unsure about which one to go for.
I've seen a few pop up in different places on the forum lately so thought I'd ask here.
What's the difference/similarities, pros/cons whatever of the P1 and P2? Or, should I be looking at one of his other models to satisfy my needs?
jreeves47

Re: Cornish P1/P2/...?

Post by jreeves47 »

p2 is a great muff imo. I've played a couple of them. they're very close to a maxon jet driver/ d&sII style thing but with no blurring between strings etc.
sounds like if you were to track a chord one string at a time. i haven't played a p1.
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

aparently the P2 is a modified muff and the p1 is more a clone of gilmours rams head...?
i dont think its a direct clone though, a modified clone and the p2 is further modified/refined

have a good listen to gilmours on an island and live in gdansk and you'll get a good idea of what they sound like...
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I've had both, but unfortunately not at the same time. The P-2 was far too dark for my tastes. I was not really able to ever get much of a useable tone from it. Its super smooth sounding so.if that's your thing uoumay enjoy it? The P-1 I still own. Really amazing big muff! Tone control is very useable on it and the gain control is as well. It cuts great and is still smooth and nasty at the same time.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

redeyeflight wrote:I've had both, but unfortunately not at the same time. The P-2 was far too dark for my tastes. I was not really able to ever get much of a useable tone from it. Its super smooth sounding so.if that's your thing uoumay enjoy it? The P-1 I still own. Really amazing big muff! Tone control is very useable on it and the gain control is as well. It cuts great and is still smooth and nasty at the same time.
Pete brought back the P1 due to the high demand... he'd moved to the P2 but so many started requesting the P1 and it was getting such a good rap from ppl that he brought it back...
if i were looking i'd probably go that one first... Too smooth was the common complaint of the P2.
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
freddy_von

Post by freddy_von »

Looks like the P1 it is.
Thanks for the feedback.
cajone5

Post by cajone5 »

redeyeflight wrote:I've had both, but unfortunately not at the same time. The P-2 was far too dark for my tastes. I was not really able to ever get much of a useable tone from it. Its super smooth sounding so.if that's your thing uoumay enjoy it? The P-1 I still own. Really amazing big muff! Tone control is very useable on it and the gain control is as well. It cuts great and is still smooth and nasty at the same time.
Same experience here -- no longer have either one but the P2 was way too dark and smooth for me. The P1 cut like a knife and really ripped on chords.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
beaton.r

Post by beaton.r »

Playing the 2 at Deluxe, the P1 has more of a classic tone stack - the P2 gives you variation in the highs, and doesn't scoop or alter the mids as much (alla less traditional)
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I have both but the P-1 gets the most airtime. I find it such an amazing muff tone I asked Jerms to make a clone for me in the event it came up missing. At the time I initially got it, second-hand prices were insane and I wanted a backup just in case the Cornish got stolen.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
cajone5

Post by cajone5 »

1bottlerocket wrote:I have both but the P-1 gets the most airtime. I find it such an amazing muff tone I asked Jerms to make a clone for me in the event it came up missing. At the time I initially got it, second-hand prices were insane and I wanted a backup just in case the Cornish got stolen.
Did said clone ever come to be?
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.