Eastwood Warren Ellis tenor

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

i love sharin foo

Eastwood Warren Ellis tenor

Post by i love sharin foo »

I had been wanting one of these since they first came out. Just had it delivered last week. I bought it used and as such it's a couple years old and has the older style 3+1 headstock and heel trussrod adjustment. I have it strung with flat wounds on the 2 wound strings and tuned GDAE now instead of CGDA. I'll be damned if it's not super fun to play! Being tuned to fifths, there's a learning curve involved but it's already opening up a lot of new doors for me. I am really glad that I was able to get it. The overall quality is really good. ALMOST as good as a Japanese made Fender is what I would most closely relate it to. There are a few strange things like oval screw heads on the pickup switches but the 'guard's holes aren't counter sunk for them and a weird paint smudge on a side marker on the neck mainly. Nothing major by any means. The fretwork is excellent and it plays great. I swapped straight over to heavier strings, dropped the tuning down, and only reintonated. I haven't had to mess with the action height yet. The neck pickup is real hot and the bridge less so. I have the heights balanced pretty well no to where there isn't a large output differential. I retrofitted Fender style strap buttons and Mustang/Jaguar knobs. The Eastwood case fits it real nicely too and was a nice addition for what I paid. For an inexpensive instrument, these things are a great tool to have available. All my pedals have reacted very favorably, especially all the fuzzes. Money well spent IMHO. My wife and I just caught Nick Cave live a couple weeks back and if I can get 1/10 the sounds out of this thing that Warren Ellis did there, I'll be a VERY happy man.

fuzzlounge

Re: Eastwood Warren Ellis tenor

Post by fuzzlounge »

Nice one Justin, I'm a huge Nick Cave/Grinderman fan too and have seen Warren raising hell on numerous occasions live with this tenor guitar, have fun!!
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

fuzzlounge wrote:Nice one Justin, I'm a huge Nick Cave/Grinderman fan too and have seen Warren raising hell on numerous occasions live with this tenor guitar, have fun!!
Thanks! You were right on about that show.. it was amazing! We went into it with high expectations but had no idea how insane it would really be. We were seated in the third row back. He had everyone on the feet within the first ten minutes and was through the crowd like crazy. When they encored with Stagger Lee, he was standing in my seat for the "fifty good pussies" part hehe. He started to fall right when he was climbing onto my seat too. Before witnessing it firsthand, trying to steady Nick Cave with my own two hands mid song would not have been something I expected!
bazguitar

Post by bazguitar »

i love sharin foo wrote:I had been wanting one of these since they first came out. Just had it delivered last week. I bought it used and as such it's a couple years old and has the older style 3+1 headstock and heel trussrod adjustment. I have it strung with flat wounds on the 2 wound strings and tuned GDAE now instead of CGDA. I'll be damned if it's not super fun to play! Being tuned to fifths, there's a learning curve involved but it's already opening up a lot of new doors for me. I am really glad that I was able to get it. The overall quality is really good. ALMOST as good as a Japanese made Fender is what I would most closely relate it to. There are a few strange things like oval screw heads on the pickup switches but the 'guard's holes aren't counter sunk for them and a weird paint smudge on a side marker on the neck mainly. Nothing major by any means. The fretwork is excellent and it plays great. I swapped straight over to heavier strings, dropped the tuning down, and only reintonated. I haven't had to mess with the action height yet. The neck pickup is real hot and the bridge less so. I have the heights balanced pretty well no to where there isn't a large output differential. I retrofitted Fender style strap buttons and Mustang/Jaguar knobs. The Eastwood case fits it real nicely too and was a nice addition for what I paid. For an inexpensive instrument, these things are a great tool to have available. All my pedals have reacted very favorably, especially all the fuzzes. Money well spent IMHO. My wife and I just caught Nick Cave live a couple weeks back and if I can get 1/10 the sounds out of this thing that Warren Ellis did there, I'll be a VERY happy man.

Warren Is a very cool dude
and also a pedal NUT TOO
bazguitar

Post by bazguitar »

Warren Is a very cool dude
and also a pedal NUT TOO