Nkt275 Fuzz Faces: Sunface VS Cornell 1st Fuzz VS Spaceface

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Bluesharp

Nkt275 Fuzz Faces: Sunface VS Cornell 1st Fuzz VS Spaceface

Post by Bluesharp »

Looking to hear from someone here who has had 2 or 3 of these nkt275 fuzzface pedals and could compare them in fine detail and explain what you liked the most about them all.. and which you liked the most and picked. What guitar and amp?

I have had two Analogman nkt275 Sunfaces, the one I have now is not as good as my first one. Mojo, and other small qualities. But its awesome. Running a couple Strats and a Tele.. all fully modded/improved and all going stereo into a Germino Club KT77's w Scumback H75-M75 2/12 cab and a 40/Fargen Blackbird 6L6 40 watt combo w a Celestion Alnico Cream 12".

I plug straight into it on my 20 pedal pedalboard and right after the sunface is a treble boost/rangemaster circuit made by Pigdog.. a 3 knob Driver w yellow jacket oc44 trannys. They stack incredibly and sound amazing into my Castledine Supravibe and Wah. I like to use the Driver as a solo lead boost stacked after the engaged sunface.. or I use the Driver by itself for a clean tone and hit the Sunface for distortion on Choruses or leads. They go together like peanut butter and jelly, ala the Sunlion idea.

I have never tried the Cornell ( either nos or otherwise ) or the Pigdog Navigator/Spaceface... would like to hear from those of you who have had 2 or 3 of these 3 pedals and would go into fine detail about how they differ and which one sounded the better and why you thought so. Please focus on the nkt's as different transistors would make it apples and oranges.

Thank you! :crackjam:
Doc Holliday

Re: Nkt275 Fuzz Faces: Sunface VS Cornell 1st Fuzz VS Spacef

Post by Doc Holliday »

I'm at work at present but have a first fuzz and have had the NKT275 AM red and white dot. I'll post later!
windjamma

Post by windjamma »

I have a couple of Analogman NKT 275 and a Space Face Navaigator with NKT 275. From my Experience the Space Faces are voiced brighter when you roll down the volume on the guitar a steeley clean. This was also my experience with a cv7703 space face.

Imho Space Face's prefer darker amps like marshall jtm
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

Bear in mind that most of the NKT275s that Analogman have used in the last few years have been rebranded CV7005(?) transistors.

I've tried 3 different NKT Spacefaces and they're voiced brighter than the Sunface....actually quite close to the Sola Goldie MK1.5. It's Steve's version of a FF so he's not saying it's a slavish clone of any particular FF.
Bluesharp

Post by Bluesharp »

I like the idea that there is a bit more clarity to the Spaceface.. and of course to have one butted up next to the 3 knob Pigdog Driver.. :rolleyes2: that would look so cool and it would be cool in that they were from the same builder.

So.. the Space Face cleans up better than the Sunface? Im looking for the one with the more overall mojo and which is more musical.. more 3d. Also.. anyone here compare a Cornell 1st Fuzz to either one of these or are the Sunface/Spaceface the overall decided best of the three?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I've had NKT275's Analogman about 10 years ago.
The white dots had great clean up but I found I wanted a tad more gain. The high gain red dot lacked the clean up of the red dot and white dot. I found that to be to much gain. It just was a bit overkill. I've had a jimmy behan NKT275 rose which was great but had this octave thing going on that I didn't quite get on with. The sweet sound Monterey was great but didn't reach unity gain. Stus fuzz face was great in a mix! Can't remember the transistors... maybe Texas instrument ? But for me and to my ears the tones that I associate with a fuzz face the Cornell first fuzz has! Mines got the NOS NKT's and I won't replace that one.
It sounded similar to a Sun face to my ears but it felt thicker, warmer, the notes bloomed about the same and the cleanup wasn't quite as sweetly clean as the white dot but had a bit of fur around those notes which I preferred.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

That 20 pedal - pedal board is killing the fuzz face. Plug it directly into your amp, guitar~fuzz face~amp=disco
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
norhyme

Re:

Post by norhyme »

mjkk wrote:That 20 pedal - pedal board is killing the fuzz face. Plug it directly into your amp, guitar~fuzz face~amp=disco
This!

Or use this:
“Interviewer: 'So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?' Frank Zappa: 'You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?” ― Frank Zappa
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah I've got a gigrig quarter master
Bluesharp

Re: Re:

Post by Bluesharp »

Or use this:
Image[/quote]

I have perfect tone through my board.. it would be very hard for me to describe what I have and what I have done to maintain a very clean/strong/natural dry through signal but all my fuzz pedals have no buffers before them and then go straight into a always buffered Rockett Archer. ( klone pedal, great buffer ) Very short cables.. all Lava mini elc cabling with top quality soldered pancake plugs.

I will say Id really like to have a pedalboard with the flip top tier and that gig rig looper like is on the that pedal show on youtube. I would need over $2K to convert though and really im super happy with my tone right now.

:freakout: