Pairing stompboxes with a silverface Fender...

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

so&so

Re: Pairing stompboxes a silverface Fender...

Post by so&so »

HorseyBoy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:05 pm
redeyeflight wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm I can't think of any other amp that takes pedals as well as a fender.
Agreed. About the only pedal I don't like with a SF Fender is a Rangemaster/treble booster - just too shrill to my ears.
I like Rats with just about anything but have yet to try a Klon/Klone. I really like the look of the Ceriatone one. From what I understand it's a very different circuit to a TS9.
I like the way a Red Rooster into a Super Reverb sounds. I set the pedal knobs to around 1:00, maybe a little beyond there and it sounds good to me. Amp settings are usually volume 4, treble 5/6, mids 5/6, bass 3/4, reverb 3. I’ve had good luck with Rats and Muff types too. The Klones I’ve played all sounded nice through my Super Reverb.
Doc Holliday

Re: Pairing stompboxes with a silverface Fender...

Post by Doc Holliday »

I concur with Zvez. I have a channel 2 at the beginning of my pedal chain.
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

HorseyBoy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:01 am Oh, that reminds me - a Zvex Super Hard On is also great to give a little extra warmth to SF amps.
I've been meaning to build one of these forever, since I sold my Micro Amp.
resynthesis

Post by resynthesis »

I remember a Naga Viper being good fun.
2guests

Post by 2guests »

Almost everything (except really treblely pedals), especially, if you back off the fuzz/distort some and turn up the volume/boost. Full range boost pedals, TS overdrives, Rat's, quality fuzzes can all make a VR sing sweetly. Also, phasers, flangers, and delay really shine in those amps.
"I'm gonna give you something to bathe for." -Chuck Berry

"You sure it's not a jerms clone? How do we even know anymore?" -HorseyBoy
Mr. Min T. Fresh

Re: Pairing stompboxes a silverface Fender...

Post by Mr. Min T. Fresh »

redeyeflight wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm I can't think of any other amp that takes pedals as well as a fender.
What he said! The silverface fenders take pedals like no other! Hands down my go to amps for using pedals with.
I have a big dick and I challenge you to swallow it or fight me strait up.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

To further elaborate. Silverface/blackface Fenders do tend to stay cleaner than say a Marshall or Vox circuit so a treble booster or fuzz face, aka a pedal that relies on a bit of amp gain to do it's thing well can be a bit tricker to use in a fender circuit. If you plug in a treble boost into a twin reverb set to three its not really going to sound that great. But a Princeton or deluxe I think sounds killer with a treble boost (or fuzzface). I honestly have trouble with at least Vox style amps where using a modulation/delay/reverb effects as they tend to be a bit hotter on the front end and can murky things up. Jim is right also in saying a klon style pedal and a fender amp is a match made in heaven. I also really really like a klon into a ac-30 though as well. But yea, anything past a super reverb in terms of volume to me tends to be too loud and clean to really get most of the tones we like to hear. A twin reverb weighs too much anyways... :hihi:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

redeyeflight wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 pm To further elaborate. Silverface/blackface Fenders do tend to stay cleaner than say a Marshall or Vox circuit so a treble booster or fuzz face, aka a pedal that relies on a bit of amp gain to do it's thing well can be a bit tricker to use in a fender circuit. If you plug in a treble boost into a twin reverb set to three its not really going to sound that great. But a Princeton or deluxe I think sounds killer with a treble boost (or fuzzface).
The VR, possibly because it has smaller transformers than the other 6L6 fenders, feels like an upscaled small amp (DR, Princeton) so should be reasonably friendly to those effects that need a bit of amp compression (like FF and treble boost)? If I take it to practice again this week, I'll try it with a few different things and report back.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Like almost every tube amp, a fender needs to be opened up a bit to really get the full potential out of it. Once you do I find they take any kind of drive/fuzz/boost pedals extremely well.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

redeyeflight wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 pm To further elaborate. Silverface/blackface Fenders do tend to stay cleaner than say a Marshall or Vox circuit so a treble booster or fuzz face, aka a pedal that relies on a bit of amp gain to do it's thing well can be a bit tricker to use in a fender circuit. If you plug in a treble boost into a twin reverb set to three its not really going to sound that great. But a Princeton or deluxe I think sounds killer with a treble boost (or fuzzface). I honestly have trouble with at least Vox style amps where using a modulation/delay/reverb effects as they tend to be a bit hotter on the front end and can murky things up. Jim is right also in saying a klon style pedal and a fender amp is a match made in heaven. I also really really like a klon into a ac-30 though as well. But yea, anything past a super reverb in terms of volume to me tends to be too loud and clean to really get most of the tones we like to hear. A twin reverb weighs too much anyways... :hihi:
It's funny that we're kinda pointing in the direction of needing less pedals on a pedal forum, but I like the way this discussion has headed.
Completely agree that there's no point running a treble booster into an amp unless it's already being pushed. And agree even more wholeheartedly that you won't get the best out of any amp unless you can crank it up, at least a little. I guess that's why I find myself more and more drawn to smaller combo amps these days - 15 to 35 watts, a good 10" or 12" speaker and I'm happy. Yes, they're easier to lug around, but the fact you need to turn them up means you're more likely to get the best out of the amp - that lovely tube warmth and sag that no pedal is ever going to give you. That's not to say you should never run a pedal - I fucking love pedals - but it's nice to start with a great sound and then make it better. Or different. Or fuck it up a little, just for kicks.
The Vibrolux Reverb should be a great platform for just about anything. Really looking forward to seeing how you bond with it.