Maestro FZ-2 PrOn

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

eborej

Maestro FZ-2 PrOn

Post by eborej »

Just wanted to share some shots of the Maestro FZ-2 Fuzz-Tone that I was fortunate enough to pick up recently. The only other pictures of this rare pedal that I could find are on effectsdatabase.com and unfortunately only the trace side of the circuit board can be seen so some of the shots below of the circuit components could be the first available online.

This one seems to be very clean except for some of the paint removed from the top of the pedal where I can only speculate that some solvent was used to remove a price tag by a previous owner. It also seems to be all original except for the knobs. I've included close ups of the 3 transistors. One is labelled SFT 307 and the other two only have ES 2 and a red dot on them. In order to try to date the pedal I've included shots of the volume pot markings which are 847 100K IRC 6704. If anyone could shed light on the ES 2 transistors and decipher the volume pot codes it would be appreciated.

Last edited by eborej on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
HorseyBoy

Re: Maestro FZ-2 PrOn

Post by HorseyBoy »

Woah! Big learning opportunity with this one.
So these were made in Canada. Did Turner Musical Instruments make stuff for anyone else?
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

very cool! 9v circuit then? hows she sound?!?!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
jerms

Post by jerms »

4th week of 67 on that pot... awesome find man!!! :cheers:
any chance of a trace side shot??? looks to have some MKI and zonk resistor and cap values!!!
rafmax

Post by rafmax »

jerms wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:29 am 4th week of 67 on that pot... awesome find man!!! :cheers:
any chance of a trace side shot??? looks to have some MKI and zonk resistor and cap values!!!
Ain't the other pot dated 47th week of 68 ?
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

eborej wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 am Just wanted to share some shots of the Maestro FZ-2 Fuzz-Tone that I was fortunate enough to pick up recently. The only other pictures of this rare pedal that I could find are on effectsdatabase.com and unfortunately only the trace side of the circuit board can be seen so some of the shots below of the circuit components could be the first available online.

This one seems to be very clean except for some of the paint removed from the top of the pedal where I can only speculate that some solvent was used to remove a price tag by a previous owner. It also seems to be all original except for the knobs. I've included close ups of the 3 transistors. One is labelled SFT 307 and the other two only have ES 2 and a red dot on them. In order to try to date the pedal I've included shots of the volume pot markings which are 847 100K IRC 6704. If anyone could shed light on the ES 2 transistors and decipher the volume pot codes it would be appreciated.
Wow, nice find! I checked my data and I didn't see any other ones except this one (on Reverb) and the one on the site (and the site checked eBay and a lot of other sites for it multiple times a day for the last 10 years ;-)).

I hope it's ok to use the pictures? ;-)
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
eborej

Post by eborej »

DiscoFreq wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 am Wow, nice find! I checked my data and I didn't see any other ones except this one (on Reverb) and the one on the site (and the site checked eBay and a lot of other sites for it multiple times a day for the last 10 years ;-)).

Of course Bart! I think we're all grateful for your site so I'm happy to help contribute. BTW, where did the only other known pictures of this pedal come from over ten years ago?

Thanks for your insight Jim. It's exciting to hear the circuit might be related to the MKI and Zonk. I'll get a shot of the trace side of the pedal and some sound clips up shortly.
Last edited by eborej on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

eborej wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:55 pm Of course Bart! I think we're all grateful for your site so I'm happy to help contribute. BTW, where did the only other know pictures of this pedal come from over ten years ago?
Thanks!

They came from an eBay auction possibly years before I added that page...
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
sir h c

Post by sir h c »

eborej wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:55 pm
DiscoFreq wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 am Wow, nice find! I checked my data and I didn't see any other ones except this one (on Reverb) and the one on the site (and the site checked eBay and a lot of other sites for it multiple times a day for the last 10 years ;-)).

Of course Bart! I think we're all grateful for your site so I'm happy to help contribute. BTW, where did the only other known pictures of this pedal come from over ten years ago?

Thanks for your insight Jim. It's exciting to hear the circuit might be related to the MKI and Zonk. I'll get a shot of the trace side of the pedal and some sound clips up shortly.
Yes from e-bay, I bid and lost on it. :(
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

jerms wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:29 am 4th week of 67 on that pot... awesome find man!!! :cheers:
Yep, looks Zonky as hell. Check out the .05 cap soldered right to the collector of Q2!!! :hihi:
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?