Dunlop Cry Baby Mini Wah: much better than you'd expect!

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Laservampire

Re: Dunlop Cry Baby Mini Wah: much better than you'd expect!

Post by Laservampire »

Last edited by Laservampire on Thu May 24, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

sluttyindian wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:23 am The mini wah is dope, which setting are you guys using? I like the vintage and Low. They also seem to play better with fuzz

Im tempted to get the newer one, would be nice to change the output volume and setting easily
I’m liking the vintage setting. I’m pretty sure that all the internal switch does is move the sweep. Basically like moving the gear notch along a step or two on a regular wah. Can’t really detect any tonal change.

As it happens, I happened upon a Castledine drop in kit in the BST here so now that’s heading my way!

I took the Wilson wah kit out of my old Vox enclosure and put the old guts back in, it sounds okay but it’s such a bland sounding wah. No throatiness or snarl at all. And the bypass is still as bad as I remember it!
Ben
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Laservampire wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 6:22 am As it happens, I happened upon a Castledine drop in kit in the BST here so now that’s heading my way!
You'll love the Castledine. I generally prefer Colorsound and Boomer wahs over Vox/Cry Baby wahs, but the Castledine is really special.
Philip

Post by Philip »

I think those 90's Vox wahs are cool enough, but nothing special.

Quick clip of one I had in action. https://www.instagram.com/p/BVuWf89jz-I ... ripedclips

The Castledine wahs sound great! Very vocal and musical sounding.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I’ve had pretty much all the Dunlop / reissue Vox stuff. My fav being the 535Q. I had the Wilson wah which cleared my Dunlop collection. That wah was great. But when I got the Castledine ... man .... that’s a wah for champions.
It was to much wah for me in the end. I stumbled upon the vintage stuff and .. it didn’t have the range that the Castledine had. It was a little less perfect but full of mojo. I prefer now the “good” vintage stuff over most.

Being a owner of vintage 60s wahs and having owned a few original 67/68 clyde McCoy’s I just can’t take these minis serious. I’m sure they do a job ... and prob a good job at that but... not my thing at all. But hey we all play different music and have different playing styles.

If I were to go main stream I’d go CAE wah again. That was about £100 on the second hand market and for vintage enthusiasts actually sounded pretty good in that yellow fasel mode.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

At 4:00 the Castledine Wah kicks in. This was a custom Clyde model.

Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

Last edited by Laservampire on Sun May 13, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

“Nothing special” is exactly how I’d describe the stock Vox. It’s not awful, but certainly not distinctive.

I agree Doc, the Wilson is awesome. Far better than any stock off the shelf wah. I’d lent mine to my friend for the last few years and he compared it favourably to his RMC10.

Really looking forward to my Castledine kit, judging by the quality of the rest of Stu’s stuff I’ve used I don’t think it will be beaten.

I was really surprised with how good the mini wah is, it’s nearly on the level of the Wilson, just with less tweakability. So much better than every Vox or Crybaby I’ve used.

I’ll give that clip a listen tomorrow!
Ben
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

Ben
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Ben I know you know good tone so I’ll take your word for it. Maybe Dunlop got this one right for the ears. It just looks too tiny for my feet haha