ray charles,stevie wonder wah pot test.

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Philip

Re: ray charles,stevie wonder wah pot test.

Post by Philip »

The ones I liked had a more obvious mid honk/vocal vomit thing going on. Pedal 1 is probably my fav, it has all of the above and you also sound a bit more inspired by it in your playing.

They all sound good though, but the more mid focused ones do it for me. :tu:
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

redeyeflight wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 pm Maybe I'm just realizing that the pot doesn't make as much of a difference as I thought it did? Everything sounds good to me just not a whole lot different.
Exactly the same boat for me. Honestly, I was expecting the differences to be more obvious/clear cut. Every time I've changed a pot in a wah (and I've done it a lot) I've noticed a change in the sound as well as the feel. But, as redeye says, maybe it's not as important to the overall sound as I thought.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

I'm sure in the room you can hear all the subtle nuances that can't really be heard through the recordings, its like when people say to me "why have a few different MKII's? they all sound the same" its the little things that makes us freaks / nerds :freakout:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Philip

Post by Philip »

I thought the recordings were done well enough to allow differences to come through. But, I'm not much in to wah's so might be listening for different things from wah freaks.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Gave all the clips a second listen today and I still reckon 4 and 6 are my favourites, although there's something going on with 2 I quite like as well. Number 4 just had a wider, wetter sound, which is what I prefer. Number 6 was similar, with really nice definition at the treble end of the sweep. So for me, in descending order of preference, I'd go 4, 6 and 2.
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

Ah, thanks, great insights all around. Much appreciated.
There is a poll on same exact test at gear page, last I checked, test 2 was winning, with test 4 close behind.
1 and 6 get mentioned a lot in both forums.

It is true and I've said it a long time, my playing DOES get influenced by what I'm hearing and feeling, so the ones I like are pretty obvious in the way i play if you listen.

I don't like the idea of a pre recorded clip going into the various versions, tone frenzy used to do it like this 17 years ago, I did not like it. At that point, I'd also need a machine to rock the wah too, correct?

What we're left with, then, is a biased test. But the result might be more valid than a cold clinical approach- if a different or better sound inspires a player to play differently, then this is an aspect as important as the sound itself.

Phone mic? It's good enough, I am not making abbey road! I do take the time to place it well.

Thanks for all the comments- all great stuff. Appreciate you all talking the time to listen.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

joegagan wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 am
fernieite wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:20 am I only had a quick listen with headphones over my laptop. However, even on full volume it wasn't really loud enough for my liking.

I suppose it could be on my end - am I going deaf! :hmm:

I do think that perhaps #6 was the best sounding to me, but as I said, I would like to hear the clips at better volume. TURN IT UP! :freakout: :lol:
that's funny!
you had me worried, i usually think my volume is pretty good.
i went to "that pedal show" to compare, i am within 10% of their volume so i think i'm ok.
Damn, so I am going deaf then! :doh:

Looking forward to seeing which pots are where. Like the others have said - It doesn't seem to make that much of a difference to the actual sound of the wah. Is that what you're hearing too Joe? I imagine there's more of a discernable feel difference.
You're the guy in the room afterall. :captain:

Thanks.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

It's the same when I listen to demos of compressor pedals. More on the feel than the actual sound.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
jerms

Post by jerms »

yeah they all sound good... after listening a few times #4 may be the winner for me... although i think dif pots have more to do with the interaction of your foot and the sweep, which would be easier to rate in person playing the pedal...
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

yes, it really IS a feel thing.
i think many players adjust quickly to different tapers, if they are using their ears.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder