ray charles,stevie wonder wah pot test.

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

joegagan

ray charles,stevie wonder wah pot test.

Post by joegagan »

WAH POT TEST,

reasonably scientific, same amps, guitar , settings and same wah - 69 ish filmcan crybaby. as you can see, camera location was consistent.

please vote for your favorites and or comment. guesses as to which pot is which will be fun too!

i will reveal the identities after a week or two.

pots, in random order:

- dunlop hotpotz2, 2016
- dunlop hotpotz1, NOS 1996
- gagan smooth pot 100k
-castledine wah pot 100k
-ERT , circa 72
-mcConopot2

all nominal 100k , HP1 was 131k, however.

THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING!
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
Philip

Re: ray charles,stevie wonder wah pot test.

Post by Philip »

After a quick listen, 1, 4 and 6 were my favs.
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

thanks Philip. interesting choices!
please check back in a week or so for the reveal.
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

The only one I didn't really care for was #3.

As Phillip said, 1 and 6 were my favorites too.
Ben
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

I only had a quick listen with headphones over my laptop. However, even on full volume it wasn't really loud enough for my liking.

I suppose it could be on my end - am I going deaf! :hmm:

I do think that perhaps #6 was the best sounding to me, but as I said, I would like to hear the clips at better volume. TURN IT UP! :freakout: :lol:
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

fernieite wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:20 am I only had a quick listen with headphones over my laptop. However, even on full volume it wasn't really loud enough for my liking.

I suppose it could be on my end - am I going deaf! :hmm:

I do think that perhaps #6 was the best sounding to me, but as I said, I would like to hear the clips at better volume. TURN IT UP! :freakout: :lol:
that's funny!
you had me worried, i usually think my volume is pretty good.
i went to "that pedal show" to compare, i am within 10% of their volume so i think i'm ok.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

For me it's not a volume issue that makes it difficult to judge; it's that the amp sound is a little too driven/dirty. I would have preferred a cleaner amp tone, which is probably just the nature of a Vox/Cry baby wah - they tend to add a little too much gain to the sound, which is why I generally prefer other flavours of wah.
That said, the differences in each clip aren't huge. Subtle changes more than anything. From my quick listen, I'm going for 4 and 6 as my favourites. I'll try to give them all another listen and see if I change my mind.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I think 4 edges it for me. Interesting idea for a thread Joe, cheers for taking the time to do all this :tu:
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Man I've listed to these a few times now and they start sounding more the same the more I listen to them...I could definitely be going crazy though! :badteeth:
The issues I have determining the differences: as HorseyBoy said, the amp setting means that the dirty tone kind of covers up where the high end is although it helps with the throatiness I tend to listen for where the highs and high mids are in a wah. Also, I think it would help to use a looper and run the exact same lick through it. I know you were playing similar stuff but that threw me off a bit. Plus iPhone mic recordings always tend to smear any nuances. An actual close mic on the cab would really help things. Maybe I'm just realizing that the pot doesn't make as much of a difference as I thought it did? Everything sounds good to me just not a whole lot different. Please don't take my criticism as anything other than constructive! Certainly apperciate all the vids you do Joe!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Numero Uno for me, not sure why but even though I listened to it first it stuck with me the longest
’brutish in character but not thug like’