OD-801 -- where have you been all my life?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

chatmatt

OD-801 -- where have you been all my life?

Post by chatmatt »

Am I super late to the party on this one? I just bought a vintage Maxon Od-801 on a whim because it looked pretty clean and wasn't too pricey. Plugged it in this afternoon and had my head blown off! Suddenly my other high gain stuff that I was plenty happy with all sound like tinker toys. Maybe this pedal is too much for a band setting - we'll see, but it's a super blast to play loud as hell while my neighbors are at work. It sort of feels like a Dope Priest + Greasebox combo, but with really good low end. If I had to find one complaint, it would be that the gain knob is pretty maxed out for me around 10pm on the dial - everything above that is just super meltdown, and at zero, it's still pretty gainy. But whatever - this thing clearly wasn't made to be played clean or lightly. Do you guys know about these?!!

jetofuj

Re: OD-801 -- where have you been all my life?

Post by jetofuj »

Isn't it actually Big Muff with different tone stack?
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Yeah, it's a Muff. Some good info on the different versions of the D&S at Kit's page: http://www.kitrae.net/music/History_of_ ... lones.html
Lots of love here for the earlier versions (the "Sustain T" and the second version with the LED). Love mine. This is the third version, identical to the Ibanez 850.
daCod

Post by daCod »

Dammit - now I want Juan :hihi:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

I have the first an second version of D&S that I'm planning to unload if someone's interested. They're great both great sounding and for me they both beat my V3 and a Ram's Head that I used to have. The second version goes into meldown at full tilt like Matt described, but I think the first one behaves well all the way through. For me the tone control on these works a lot better than the one on original Big Muffs. But no matter how I try, I just don't think that I'm a Muff man. :paranoid:
Condolences, the bums lost!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

That’s ok mate... it is 2018 after all ;)
2guests

Post by 2guests »

Yes, these are really loud, fuzzy pedals! I got this one back in '95-'96 from a friend that used it as his bass guitar fuzz. I've always wondered why they chose to use a "computer" font for Overdrive?

"I'm gonna give you something to bathe for." -Chuck Berry

"You sure it's not a jerms clone? How do we even know anymore?" -HorseyBoy
Gemma Thrush

Post by Gemma Thrush »

Computer font is Righteous on any pedal, bro.