Halifax Z and Z 2

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

sir h c

Halifax Z and Z 2

Post by sir h c »

So years back I got a Halifax Z2 off of E-bay but it was in pieces.

I would like to say that this is the absolutely worst PCB to trace for such a simple (3 transistor boost/fuzz) circuit.

I would post pictures but looks like Photobucket has gotten even worse (how is that possible?!?!?)

So the Z2 is built on the same boards as the Z, without the wah section. Heel switch turns off/on the effect. The side switch is boost/fuzz (1 transistor or 3). Pot is gain on one of the transistors, very weird, the pot is literally the base-collector bias resistor and the pot goes from 22k to 0k base/collector resistor. Very simple circuit, but they hacked the board to make it work in that there are jumpers everywhere. I am not sure I wired it correctly, but there was a 0.22uF cap with a blue wire and the other end grounded, so I wasn't sure what to do with it, so made it sort of a tone sweep with the wah pot.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/halifax/z/2

Is mine, added the wah pot, wired it all up, sort of figured out the circuit (still kind of doesn't make 100% sense). Cool fuzz sound, switch for boost/fuzz is pretty spotty.
sir h c

Re: Halifax Z and Z 2

Post by sir h c »

So I took pictures of top and bottom of the board. Flipped the bottom picture so the orientation is the same.

sir h c

Re: Halifax Z and Z 2

Post by sir h c »