Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face ebay score

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

fuzzlounge

Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face ebay score

Post by fuzzlounge »

So, I randomly spotted these pedals, totally miss advertised and in the wrong section on ebay, made my move and won them. However, I'm not too schooled on vintage fuzz faces and wondered if you guys who are a bit more savvy than me can fill me a bit or help put a rough date on them?

I'm guessing that both would have been loaded with NKT 275's but the one with 2 knobs has had an OC-83 stuck in there for some reason.

Cosmetically they aren't perfect but I'm keen on the idea of returning them to their former glory and keeping them as vintage correct as possible.

Pics:

Fuzz Face 1

Fuzz Face 2

Thanks in advance for any help/advice lads,cheers :freakout:
jreeves47

Re: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face ebay score

Post by jreeves47 »

i'd say leave em as-is if they're working
fuzzlounge

Post by fuzzlounge »

Sound advice, currently FF 2 works and sounds nice, FF 1 needs some TLC
daCod

Post by daCod »

was waiting for the big pictures :party:

anxious to hear what them knowledge-filled makers have to say :popcorn:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Truemann

Post by Truemann »

I had half an eye on those. Excellent score! :cheers:
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Putting a date on these is not so easy as Arbiter didn't re-stock pots all too often in the early days.
We think that the ones with the bolder logo like the one you scored are the earliest ones. They come with pots dated between September and December of 1966. But so do a lot of the ones with the thinner logo. They used those pots for quite a long time. After 12-6 the next pot code in my database seems to be 5-68. That's why you see so many people claiming to have a 1966 Fuzz Face and so few who think they own a 1967 one :hihi:

The pot with the broken shaft can possibly be repaired using parts of modern Omeg pots. Stu Castledine would know. Replicas of the original knobs are available.

Scoring a vintage Bulgin switch would not be so easy - and they're not the most reliable parts. There's a reason why many Fuzz Faces have replacement switches.

The OC83 sure looks like a replacement. If you're going to restore it, wait until you find a builder who has a stash of period correct NKT275s (i.e. not only Newmarket made, but also with the correct print) to choose from so he can find one that sounds good in your pedal.
Everything is transitional.
fuzzlounge

Post by fuzzlounge »

Glad you're digging the bigger pics Cody!!!! :tu:

Trueman, I spotted these with 2hrs left to go and decided to go for them :oldgrin:

Electric Warrior, thanks for the info's dude, much appreciated! I was shocked how little info there is kicking about the net on old FF's, I'd expected a Kit Rae style page on them, how wrong was I??? ha ha
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

Great score there John :party:

Electric Warrior wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:08 pm If you're going to restore it, wait until you find a builder who has a stash of period correct NKT275s (i.e. not only Newmarket made, but also with the correct print) to choose from so he can find one that sounds good in your pedal.
Kind of the equivalent of finding rocking horse poo these days though :rattle: :idunno:
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Awesome :badlove:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

:oldgrin: Fun times ahead man