WEM RUSH PEP BOX New arrivals in Graham's stash

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

Graham

WEM RUSH PEP BOX New arrivals in Graham's stash

Post by Graham »

Thanks to the extremely gracious help of my good friend Bart - of Discofreq AND (effectsdatabase.com) fame - I have recently acquired a second slightly later version of the WEM Fuzz unit made by Pepe Rush. It is in exactly the same body as the earlier one which is already well documented in this section (and more so on the old forum) but has a simpler "basic" screen printed Logo section which actually names the pedal as I titled this post

WEM RUSH PEP BOX

For newcomers reading the notes to the other example I have will explain a lot but it is basically an extraordinarily sized fuzzbox sold by under the newly renamed Watkins Electric Music (WEM) company of Charlie Watkins (previously branded as Watkins). I will add some more information as I get the chance meanwhile here are some pics - including comparisons to the other earlier model.. Please note tghis is not the fabulous Project VI pedal but the equally fabulously rare 2 transistor "simpler" version - prior to getting my hands on this I have only ever seen one set of pictures of one of these screen printed versions "in the flesh" (pics in the flesh - does that make sense - probably not :whistle: ) Anyway this came from a great guy up in Hartlepool - he had a really nice red 1958 Watkins Westminster amp and a bit of cash in return - a fair swap in my eyes for what at the end ofthe day is an outstandingly scarce item..

Even better - when being sent pictures to consider this deal oneof them showed the pedal on what seemed a familiar worktable - as it happened it belonged to my very good friend John Chambers up in Nottingham at Champ (I really ought to recognise his workbench :doh: ) where the pedal had been sent for a bit of a tune-up - I was delighted as it immediately removed any anxiety of doing the deal with a seller I didn't know !!! John is an ace guy and probably as good as you could find when it comes to this sort of thing - maybe not necessarily a pedal expert like say Dave or Stu but a superb technician none the less - probably the best amp guy in the country - go and check out his website at chambonino (I forget the suffix) and then buy a Treboost while he still has some of those good NOS trannies left :badlove:

Anyway it arrived today - superbly packed and in great condition - more to come later or tomorrow but here are some pics - starting with a couple of shots of it alongside the earlier example I have.....

A little info on the guts.. (I am not exactly sure what Johnhas done - he will tell me when I ask him but I didn't get round to it yet - he just told me that Andy the seller was cool and that he pedal was a decent example in good shape) maybe you can spot Johns wrk on it - as it stands it has (in what I think are sockets but could be sinks) one ITT BC109C and one BC107 transistor (you'll need to check the other posting on the early one to see if thats different - I didn't yet as I only just got her photographed for this post!!) The pots are marked:
PEP (the gain pot) 226 10K (ohm) LOG
VOL (volume) 226 5UK (ohm) LOG
You can see the rest in the pics hopefully at least one of the caps looks like a replacement - also it has an old trim pot (I might have a play with that but presume JC will have set it where he thought best) - maybe John took a pic of the underside - I will ask before trying anything brave and probably beyond me like taking it out to photograph it myself!!

ANYWAY - THE PEDAL........

first of all a couple comparing the two versions:

And now the new pedal itself:

Guts next!!

Graham
:mrgreen: :shocked2: :badlove:
Last edited by Graham on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham

Re: WEM RUSH PEP BOX New arrival in Graham's stash

Post by Graham »

MORE LATER!!! :marx:

OH Another difference - the lettering is in RED :fu:

G
:mrgreen:

ps - Thanks Bart!! You are a true Gentleman! :cheers:
Graham

Post by Graham »

Well I went out earlier to see Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler but had a solid half hour with the pedal before going out - OH MY!! It sounds heavenly - I wasnt that unhappy with my slightly older one - sure its not like the Project VI but it only has 2 trannies compared to many times that on the very complex Project circuitry - This latest one though really does sound stunning - I will try to put a cogent description of it together tomorrow - sure it has just benefitted from a tune-up over John Chambers workbench but it is amazing the difference - just the breadth of different tones on tap - all from 2 trannie as well :shocked: ANyway - I'll get my head together and do my best for an objective description / review tomorrow.
Graham :mrgreen:
FOXFIRE

Post by FOXFIRE »

how did you like the movie?
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

Thanks for the pictures Graham! :tu:

Good to know it sounds better than the other one, then it was not just for the looks :mrgreen:
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
Graham

Post by Graham »

FOXFIRE wrote:how did you like the movie?
Rourke should have had the Oscar! And doubtless one or two of the other supporting acts were extremely well done ---------But the film is a wee bit depressing (OK dreadfully so!) - Maybe I shouldn't have taken my wife!! - Well filmed and technically a very good movie (at least in my eyes) the cinematography and directing were first class but I wasn't that appreciative of one or two of the uber violent bits (my wife laughed saying what did I expect with that as a title!!) and I personally thought the ending a bit weak though doubtless very "arty" and clever

Overall I'd give it 7.5/10 on my own movie class scale maybe even an 8 -

If you happen to be a fireman - well theres a bit that might catch your attention!

G :mrgreen:

MAN THIS IS A NICE SOUNDING PEDAL!!!

I rang John Chambers this afternoon to try to discover what "attention" he had given it and any further insight he might have given to things but he was out - and I spoke to his old mum - I know he has got his best / oldest mate Mervyn aka "Dr Valve" over from Oz for the month so can only speculate at what they may have been up to - probaly buying components!! OK - more likely popped out to the pub!! I will try again later on....
Graham

Post by Graham »

Earlier today (yesterday now as its almost 4am!!) I wrote a contribution to Ian's "Rush Pep Box" thread and included some new info - mainly component dates that shoe them to be a particularly early fuzz type - Said I would stick it up here on my own thread -- Also I make reference to my Project V - which I made a separate thread over and a grey wedge Pepe Rush model - I understand that Pepe both built the pedals himself and also licensed them to Charlie Watkins - I have yet to establish his precise degree of involvement as one of the long red boxes no longer has his name on it only the residual "Pep" in place of Effect or Attack or Fuzz over one control. Also the Project V pedal which was built in the same exact long red case = OK without a battery hatch - makes it a bind changing batteries!! From the data I have dug out and put below you can see that my Rush pepbox pedals are all early - circa 1966 or 1967 while the Project is a few years later - likely coming out late in '69 or even early '70 - I imagine that one possibility would be that either Charlie Watkins had a stash of overstocked cases or else used the formers to build an easy case (its all folded guillotined mild steel with some aluminum trim and the odd bit of wood to frame it) That theory would fit with another - that they were trying to have their fuzz in a uniform body style - kind of like Sola and the various pedals in the cast mk2 body.

I will dig out some pics of the early grey wedge pedal tomorrow and load something up over that one - like all my other examples it uses a pair of Silicon trannies - which throws up a puzzle when looking at the pedal James sold to Justin which ended up with Jim here - that one sports germanium trannies - I have to say when I first saw it some years ago now I felt (from the absence of the trimmer in my one and the fashion of the blue insulation which seemed a little modern - James agreed - that it had been refurbished to a degree - now I'm not so sure at least not so sure the Ge trannies were a later replacement OR improvement.. But both Jims and mine have the same 11-4 pot and another that is from '65 in Jims - mine "looks" like a hyphen and a 6 (the first date code no is obscured by the solder join of an earthing cable) even so it seems to be a '66 built pot so newer than Jims Could be a possibility there was a preliminary brief run of pepboxes in Ge soon to be followed by Si versions for both his own sales and the Watkins/WEM ones that came afterwards..

Eventually I will get round to speaking with Pepe and will see how he recalls things.

He was an interesting and busy guy - the records say that amongst other areas of work on the musical scene, he was heavily into building private high end studios as well as commercial ones - gives a few Big named guitarist clients too!! I would think that he had a very interesting few years on the London scene in the 60's and I'm really looking forward to a chat!!!!

Anyway here is the piece I put up on Ian's thread:

Well I have a few of these pedals including a very original grey wedge, two of the long red wem pepboxes and a project V - I don't want to stir things up but ALL of them use pair of either BC 107/108/109 transistors - I took them all apart this evening and logged all details for my book - I also have the small red wedge but apart from calling the effect/fuzz control PEP - it has three metal can trannies but any markings have been removed - I assume these are germanium - it has no visible pot codes but a paper label inside that says 13.66 could be serial no but more likely wk13 1966 which would fit in.

Pot code on grey wedge 11-4 and ~~ - 6 (month numeral soldered over but clearly 1966 - BC 107's - Very interesting pedal

Pot codes on the long red fuzzes as follow

LEFT ONE - Screen printed WEM with Rush Pep Box printed above - both pots 226 (wk22 1966 - pair of BC109's - battery hatch
RIGHT ONE -Applied (stuck on) WEM logo version no mention of Rush - but clearly same circuit - also same te as shown the advert I put up on my original thread which advertises the "Stop Press" of a new Bass version at 12.5guineas as opposed to the regular version priced at 12 gns - pots 10-5 & 11-5 pair of BC107's - Battery hatch

ADVERT Image

Project V has pot codes D_9 & J_9 so clearly no earlier than Oct '69 probably built a few months into '70 as pedal build (the catalogue shows it priced at 12 guineas - England embraced the decimal system on 15 Feb '71) so it cannot be later. Has no battery hatch 8 trannies (mainly BC108's but one or two BC186's .

Also have an earlier WEM Project IV guitar.. even mostly works now! This has a very strange transducer affair going on with seperate circuitry for each string BUT also appears to have most of the Project V pedal built in - i.e same named controls amongst the various other options. Never saw so much elecronics in a guitar and I have a few more with onboard effects - take a peek at what lurks under just one side of the scratchplate!!

I expect the codes will get some folks attention I have been asked by many here - anyway no bother now as here they are listed out, One thing immediately evident (assuming that the pot build dates were a maximum of a year from actual pedal build date -- much longer than any Sola or CS gaps) Then clearly the pep boxes are particularly early silicon fuzzes. But I did already put everything apart from the trace side of the circuit boards up before - I will check things but I think a lot of that info was "accidentally deleted" at some point.

I appreciate that the Project (guitar & pedal) doesn't really belong here but I've been tidying my stuff up here and having worked through the lot thought it worth adding on - also confused by the use of Germaniums - maybe Jims pedal has them though I have it's history - when that one belonged to my friend James (who didn't have a clue what it was until I pointed it out - it was just a generic grey wedge missing its engraved "Trafalite" plate - perhaps it had Ge trannies installed - I will need to dig out his emails
from a few years back.

Also will edit some pics of the grey wedge on my photobucket ac and load them in the thread as it is very early pedal too maybe contemporary to the 2 tranny TB's - without removing the earth wire and cleaning off the solder on the pot I cannot tell - also have far too little data to establish any reasonable pot build / pedal build - time period usage range.

capricorn_1

Post by capricorn_1 »

ahhhh project V! :smashed:

incidentally Graham, I bought a 1971 (I think) WEM ER40 solid state amp last week and it has the exact same knobs as your project V!
Ghost Effects, Birmingham, UK

the Sizzle Hills are Chapel Perilous - Sickle
Graham

Post by Graham »

capricorn_1 wrote:ahhhh project V! :smashed:

incidentally Graham, I bought a 1971 (I think) WEM ER40 solid state amp last week and it has the exact same knobs as your project V!

Hi Ian - well done on the amp - I was really into Watkins amps once upon a time - still have a bunch of my faves as well as a handful of Copicats (one of each basically though I doubled up on the early blue ones when I had the chance to score one from the Bassist of the Rats - even managed to pick up a couple of proper covers a few months back - one for a Westminster the other for a Cat!
I tell you one amp to watch out for - a real sleeper - I had one of the later Dominators - where they moved to a square 1x12 cab but it had the same basic circuit and sound as my early ones - what it also had was a killer top boost type channel - absolutely fantastic - that one had its cover with huge orange WEM logo - currently residing in Jarvis Cockers music room! Very Britpop....
maybe I should have PM'd this but its my thread so - let others have the heads up on the WEM Dominator - can't remember the precise model but you can find it on Steve Russell's brilliant vintage hofner site -

Regarding the Project V - I poked around here in the datadump in the small hours and there is a 3 page thread up already. Still not sure of it's origins - all components are British and contemporary - i.e Arrow switch - Cliff sockets - and other bits you would expect to find in a '69-'70 brit built pedal - I read that 3 years back I had wrestled with whether the board might have been Japanese - i.e shin-ei - Who knows. Been chatting with another member over whether it might have been a rumoured 8 tranny version of the superfuzz but looking back in my notebooks here saw that several folks had mailed me to say they only ran to 6 trannies - what I wrote in or maybe Sir H.C added. I also saw that I had noted mention of a Suffolk Uni based boffin - probably had that from Reg Goodwin who has helped with Charlie a lot - another thing to chase up!!

I suppose that you might surmise the board being sourced from Shin-Ei but getting modded over here and built into some remaining stock of bodies - Regardless of what some might say I am sure it was only built in very small numbers or else surely more would have surfaced or be residing in others collections - I have a good bit of info on various users and thanks to Nick S some solid info on the Fairies using one all through "Never Never Land" - even so I am still sure the V was never that big a seller - probably because Charlie W was flat balls out back in those days selling amps as quickly as he could build them - Also he wasn't particularly impressed with the whole effects scene following his negative experiences with the fancy guitar project!!

One question that does come to mind is why with the red pepboxes having battery hatches - the Project V lacked one which could imply that they weren't using up actual cases they had left over from the pepbox project a few years earlier but were using the "formers" which had been used for the case manufacture. To be honest replacing the batteries in those long red pedals is a nightmare without a battery hatch - the whole thing has to be taken apart - until yesterday had forgotten how long it took but just as well because the battery was pretty low (i had thought it less impressive when using it recently) so hey presto a new battery and she's singing like a bird again - like I say on the V thread - a particularly impressive pedal - cannot for the life of me think why it wasn't taken further - maybe the complexity of build or as I have said Charlies own well documented frustration or antagonism following the guitar organ debacle.

Having opened all the WEM pedals up last night I had my curiosity stirred and now plan on looking into that one again - I know I sent it up to Rotherham so will see if Dave can add anything to it's origins from his examination of the circuit / build. Who knows may already have it - the past year has seen my "Archive" getting totally messed up - piles of papers EVERYWHERE and several knackered old laptops with untold pages of info - research locked away on frozen hard discs (and several years worth of email backups!!!)- not to mention all the notebooks and ring binders of lose sheets and catalogues/ads.

Now our lives are coming back to some normality it looks like I have months of work ahead just doing the filing!! :shocked2: !! I also promised to stick up some stuff on the grey Pepbox AND have to ship a box of peds back to Phoenix within next 24hrs!!

Keep well - G :mrgreen:
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

Graham wrote:I have a good bit of info on various users and thanks to Nick S some solid info on the Fairies using one all through "Never Never Land" - even so I am still sure the V was never that big a seller - probably because Charlie W was flat balls out back in those days selling amps as quickly as he could build them - Also he wasn't particularly impressed with the whole effects scene following his negative experiences with the fancy guitar project!!

One question that does come to mind is why with the red pepboxes having battery hatches - the Project V lacked one which could imply that they weren't using up actual cases they had left over from the pepbox project a few years earlier but were using the "formers" which had been used for the case manufacture. To be honest replacing the batteries in those long red pedals is a nightmare without a battery hatch - the whole thing has to be taken apart - until yesterday had forgotten how long it took but just as well because the battery was pretty low (i had thought it less impressive when using it recently) so hey presto a new battery and she's singing like a bird again - like I say on the V thread - a particularly impressive pedal - cannot for the life of me think why it wasn't taken further - maybe the complexity of build or as I have said Charlies own well documented frustration or antagonism following the guitar organ debacle.
i can't confirm that the pedal was used on that PF album but i know for a fact that the guitar player owned this pedal at the time. you're the guy with the Project V so you tell us if it's the same sound :zgrin:

as for the second paragraph - i know of a Project V that does have the battery hatch and it's definitely an earlier version than yours. the owner of it is really shit at emails but i am waiting to hear the pot codes...