Anyone have a PNP Big Muff?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

PlumCrazy

Anyone have a PNP Big Muff?

Post by PlumCrazy »

I've been doing research on old Big Muffs lately. Most have BC239s, FS369999?, etc. I hear that some were made with PNP transistors but the evidence is kinda sketchy in terms of what you can find online. So I'm looking for support that they really exist. Anyone got one and what transistors were they?
http://www.plumcrazyfx.com
Everytime i comb my hair, thoughts of u get in my eyes.
Mr. Min T. Fresh

Re: Anyone have a PNP Big Muff?

Post by Mr. Min T. Fresh »

Oh they are really real my man.

One sold over the summer to Robert Keeley for around $1100.00

They are very rare ( I have only seen 2 in the last 10 years of collecting )

I will see if I have any pics in my collection.

:tu:
I have a big dick and I challenge you to swallow it or fight me strait up.
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Never seen one, but I think they had 2N5087's, which I'm pretty sure are PNP. I've also heard of FS37000

My triangles have FS36999s or Fairchild 2N5133s (same thing), ram's heads w/ FS36999s or BC239C, v63034 w/ S2N5088, all of which are NPN AFAIK (?)

Here's a pic of the 2N5087
And a link to another huge pic showing them in situ
I think most of the info on that page has been through several rounds of vetting.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
analogguru

Post by analogguru »

Even when there have been PNP Big Muffs the problem with that picture is that those 2N5087 are not original (like some resistors in the pcb too).

analogguru
PlumCrazy

Post by PlumCrazy »

I was just wondering if it was another case of Fuzz Faces with factory installed AC128s, which I'm pretty sure that's pretty much been discounted.

I'd love to see pics. What models had the PNPs? Triangle? Ram Head? It seems EH wasn't affraid of using whatever parts they got cheap in bulk so I thought PNP Muffs could be out there. The thing that got me was the sites with otherwise good material talking about BC239 transistors being PNP models. I also have yet to see pics of them.
blue_lu

Post by blue_lu »

So Mr. Plumcrazy - I just ordered your siclops AND the fuzzy lady... are you going to do a muff soon? Maybe a small run with unobtanium trannies?
analogguru

Post by analogguru »

PlumCrazy wrote: The thing that got me was the sites with otherwise good material talking about BC239 transistors being PNP models. I also have yet to see pics of them.
Even when there are a lot of good informations there are also a lot of misinformations on this site.
It seems EH wasn't afraid of using whatever parts they got cheap in bulk...
They used every junk which was cheap (to increase profit). Therefore I am aware of at least 10 different Ram-Head versions.

Below a BC239C version and a 2N5087 version - both Ram-head. Note the gold legged 2N5087 transistors which were typical at this time.

analogguru
Attachments
EH_BigMuff-Ram_37comp_c.jpg
EH_BigMuff-Ram_37comp_c.jpg (13.33 KiB) Viewed 4937 times
EH_BigMuff-Ram_38comp_c.jpg
EH_BigMuff-Ram_38comp_c.jpg (21 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
jerms

Post by jerms »

hey, i've got a triangle muff with fs37000 PNP trannies in it... easily the best sounding muff i've got!!! still on tour till next week so no pix till then. i've also got an LPB 1 with the same fs37000 in it!
PlumCrazy

Post by PlumCrazy »

blue_lu wrote:So Mr. Plumcrazy - I just ordered your siclops AND the fuzzy lady... are you going to do a muff soon? Maybe a small run with unobtanium trannies?
Not too soon, have a few projects in front of it. But I've been kind of obsessed with Muffs lately. I've got a very small collection of 2n5133s for one or two but I have a large load of 2n4249s and 2n4250s (black buttons from the 70s) that I'm looking for something to use them on in the future. Want to do something a little different than the BC239s or 2n5088s. Thanks for the info and I'd like pics when you get to them Jim.
maestrofrustro

Post by maestrofrustro »

About those blackbuttontransistors.. I have a few jumbo tonebenders but the one with the best sound to my ears is has black buttons: It's very difficult to read but I try: MC or ME (? small and script logo) BC 2O9C (I guess again). what are these?
Got my triangle big muff yesterday. Lov it.