The Dope Priest

The electron charged knuckle duster.

Moderator: The Captain

Gristlepig

Re: The Dope Priest

Post by Gristlepig »

Just picked up a used Dope Priest via Reverb.

FUCKING LOVE IT.

I own a lot of Muffs, and this thing just kills. It really does channel all the shit I dig about both the Sovtek and the Triangle.

Even through a Twin, it stays thick and doomy with almost no fizz...

Mint.
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

First post here in a long time!

I've been blasting the Priest solidly for a couple of months since picking one up for recording. Any thoughts on this being a 'studio' pedal are long gone, this thing is a staple now! For me, it's the mids content that sets the DP apart. I think that the whole mids in a muff thing is a weird and complicated area - I've used GREAT pedals touted as mid-focused Muffs, such as the Catalinbread Manx, and although they've generally all been cool, they haven't really captured what for me is the Muff tone. Specifically, Mudhoney!! The priest sits apart for me as it does just that, it really is a muff which cuts through, yet still sounds like a classic muff. This is Dave's genius for me, classic designs, but with perfectly tuned TONE. Unlike 90% of muffs I've used, the controls of the priest actually work when being used with a cranked Matamp. Pretty much everything else I've used turns to mush no matter how I set them. No such issues here.

WORSHIP THE PRIEST, NOT THE PRIESTS!!
Volume over talent
anemochore
Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

It's my go to pedal for heavily modulated/filtered fuzz for ethereal soundscapes or evil sounding weirdness. It never gets muddy or washed out unless I want it to. The harmonic content jumps out adding clarity to the other pedals. Yep! the perfect mids.
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

Can it do black keys or gilmour or is a different beast from those 2 styles muffs?
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I'd say it more Black Keys/Green Russian than Gilmour/Rams Head. I always associate the Rams Head with more of a scooped midrange and the dope priest actually has the best midrange presence I've heard in a muff.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

redeyeflight wrote:I'd say it more Black Keys/Green Russian than Gilmour/Rams Head. I always associate the Rams Head with more of a scooped midrange and the dope priest actually has the best midrange presence I've heard in a muff.
Does it do a convincing black keys style fuzz or would you think there's better stOmps out there?
worldcatalyst

Post by worldcatalyst »

Coolhand78 wrote:Does it do a convincing black keys style fuzz or would you think there's better stOmps out there?
I think it's the best straight out of the box muff for Black keys style muff tones. It sounds a lot like The Black Angels, Mastodon, and a little bit of Dinosaur Jr in there. So if you're into that kind of music then the Priest can't be beat.
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

Ah cool looks like I need one of these too! ;)
punkbulldog

Post by punkbulldog »

Anyone tried the Priest with tweed type amps? I'm down to just 1 amp after a big gear clear out in the summer and the Swart is pretty middy.
Instagram nick_1_9_7_4
duaner58

Post by duaner58 »

punkbulldog wrote:Anyone tried the Priest with tweed type amps? I'm down to just 1 amp after a big gear clear out in the summer and the Swart is pretty middy.

I don't have a Dope Priest yet, but I used to run a Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian into a Tungsten Buckwheat which is the larger tweed combo and it was KILLER sounding.