The Black Acid

The electron charged knuckle duster.

Moderator: The Captain

Re: The Black Acid

Postby cajone5 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:32 am

Maybe I misspoke with the word "gated" -- what I'm trying to describe is specifically the distorted part of the signal choking out as if it's being underpowered by the input signal. The clean signal rings out the whole time with the volume back but the distorted signal pops in at the very beginning and chokes out in a rather abrupt and non-smooth way while the clean rings through the whole time. Same/similar thing happens with volume up and lowering the fuzz knob.

And to be clear -- the thing is tuned to sound fantastic with knobs maxed. Lots of grunt and girth. No complaints there. I really dig it with fuzz and drive up. But since they're on the outside, I guess I was expecting more sounds by tweaking knobs. And as (I think) I said before, the drive does work with the fuzz knob maxed. It's almost like a fine adjust for the fuzz control -- controls the thickness and fullness of the fuzz but in general doesn't make a huge different -- more like changing shades of the same basic sound, tuning it to best fit. But the fuzz, if backed off any more than a hair greatly reduces the drive knob's range and with the fuzz backed off to about 3 o'clock or below (to noonish) I'm getting a farty "abrupt choking of the distorted signal" and with the fuzz below noon, even with the drive up, I pretty much get clean tone.

Anyway, I feel like I shouldn't voice anything that could be perceived as critical here as folk don't take too kindly to it but this has been my honest experience with the pedal. Now I need to decide whether to stick with it or go back to a meathead for my big raunchy fuzz face tones as that one makes more sense to me at the moment. Will give it some more time though to see if the big lug grows on me :tu:
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
User avatar
cajone5
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The Black Acid

Postby mjkk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:54 pm

I actually love mine with the drive knob all the way back, very hendrix through a driven marshall :party:
It did take me a while to get it.. to me the drive knob is where all the action is at!
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
User avatar
mjkk
 
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:11 am

Re: The Black Acid

Postby The Captain » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:52 am

cajone5 wrote:Anyway, I feel like I shouldn't voice anything that could be perceived as critical here as folk don't take too kindly to it but this has been my honest experience with the pedal.


No, no, man. Honesty above all else. Nobody runs the same gear as anyone else so this shit important. The Acid is way more gear sensitive than the Priest so good for folk to get as much feedback as possible, this was the whole point of this forum in the first place.

:party:
User avatar
The Captain
 
Posts: 6530
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:05 am
Location: UK, Earth

Re: The Black Acid

Postby chankgeez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:55 am

The Captain wrote:
cajone5 wrote:Anyway, I feel like I shouldn't voice anything that could be perceived as critical here as folk don't take too kindly to it but this has been my honest experience with the pedal.


No, no, man. Honesty above all else. Nobody runs the same gear as anyone else so this shit important. The Acid is way more gear sensitive than the Priest so good for folk to get as much feedback as possible, this was the whole point of this forum in the first place.

:party:


:yessir: :captain: :tu:
0
"Kiev is a hell of a town." - Larry King
User avatar
chankgeez
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: The Black Acid

Postby cajone5 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:48 am

The Captain wrote:
cajone5 wrote:Anyway, I feel like I shouldn't voice anything that could be perceived as critical here as folk don't take too kindly to it but this has been my honest experience with the pedal.


No, no, man. Honesty above all else. Nobody runs the same gear as anyone else so this shit important. The Acid is way more gear sensitive than the Priest so good for folk to get as much feedback as possible, this was the whole point of this forum in the first place.

:party:


Image

And this is why I love this forum and the folks here.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
User avatar
cajone5
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The Black Acid

Postby garyrogue » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:17 am

Happy new year!!
I got my BA a few days ago. It is a fuzz, a fuzz face type. Not overly gainy. I thinks it is becoming a favorite. Why? Comparing to my face types it is the type of clean up. It cleans up, but does not get overly treble--ly or brittle, which is cool on the other units, but this stays nice and smooth, not overly bright. Alot learned and shown in this, thanks Captain. Have never had the Head Buzz, wonder how it compares? Now I have to try the Dope Priest.
User avatar
garyrogue
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:44 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: The Black Acid

Postby Nervous Nick » Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 am

Been playin' the Black Acid a lot over the last few weeks, and it's really something special.
I love this goddamn black box!! The clean-up is absolutely amazing, better than any FF-type pedal I've ever owned, because the BA doesn't get trebly or "soft", but remains fat with a great sustain.
I've owned a silincon Head Buzz, but the B.A is very different in my opinion. Head Buzz is a great sounding FF, the BA is something different....it works great for rhythm, fantastic for leads, loves single coils and P-90 too, perfect with marshall plexis but also with fender amps....I've tried with a few different guitars and amps and it was a killer every time !!
I like to play it on its own though, it's so good it doesn't need to be boosted or stacked with other pedals.
Fantastic pedal !
User avatar
Nervous Nick
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: Italy

Re: The Black Acid

Postby Davide79 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:15 pm

I have a black Acid and it is very amazing.. The last week i played it with telacaster into Valvetrain 205 tall boy (5 watt all tube with 1x12) and i had a very fantastic sound, with the low frequency very present, clear and stable...

great device according to me :badlove:
User avatar
Davide79
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:42 pm
Location: Ancona, Italy

Re: The Black Acid

Postby Sonofthunder » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:09 am

Apologies if this was already answered somewhere, but the trimpot inside the Black Acid.. Is it like a "leave it as it was set when it was made/tested" or .....?
What does it do?

/EDIT

Sorry I wasn't looking good enough... Found it :banger: :banger:
Good things, come to those who hate.
User avatar
Sonofthunder
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:19 pm
Location: Rotterdam - Netherlands

Re: The Black Acid

Postby Coolhand78 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Nervous Nick wrote:Been playin' the Black Acid a lot over the last few weeks, and it's really something special.
I love this goddamn black box!! The clean-up is absolutely amazing, better than any FF-type pedal I've ever owned, because the BA doesn't get trebly or "soft", but remains fat with a great sustain.
I've owned a silincon Head Buzz, but the B.A is very different in my opinion. Head Buzz is a great sounding FF, the BA is something different....it works great for rhythm, fantastic for leads, loves single coils and P-90 too, perfect with marshall plexis but also with fender amps....I've tried with a few different guitars and amps and it was a killer every time !!
I like to play it on its own though, it's so good it doesn't need to be boosted or stacked with other pedals.
Fantastic pedal !


Can u elaborate a bit more on the similarities/differences between the head buzz and the BA?
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
User avatar
Coolhand78
 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:13 am

PreviousNext

Return to Emanating Fist Electronics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron