Interesting news about GIBSON.....>>>>

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

peps1

Re: Interesting news about GIBSON.....>>>>

Post by peps1 »

Scott wrote:So maybe im not understanding this whole situation correctly. What exactly did Gibson do that was illegal? :zombiehuh: :hmm:
Illegally importing ebony and rosewood from Madagascar and India in violation of the Lacey Act (prohibits the acquisition of plant products that are protected in other countries).

Seems they paid $300,000 penalty to avoid criminal charges and $50,000 to the U.S. National Fish and Wildlife Foundation to promote conservation and development of tree species used in making musical instruments.

...........And built some ugly guitars with the non illegally imported wood that was returned to them!
Scott

Post by Scott »

peps1 wrote:
Scott wrote:So maybe im not understanding this whole situation correctly. What exactly did Gibson do that was illegal? :zombiehuh: :hmm:
Illegally importing ebony and rosewood from Madagascar and India in violation of the Lacey Act (prohibits the acquisition of plant products that are protected in other countries).

Seems they paid $300,000 penalty to avoid criminal charges and $50,000 to the U.S. National Fish and Wildlife Foundation to promote conservation and development of tree species used in making musical instruments.

...........And built some ugly guitars with the non illegally imported wood that was returned to them!
Thank you :tu:

But did they really need SWAT? :smashed: lol
peps1

Post by peps1 »

I do feel a little sorry for Gibson; I'm no lawyer, but it seems they would not have violated the Lacey act if the rose wood fret boards had been shipped to them as unprocessed blanks, rather then having been partly machined in India.....(akin to Martin guitars, who apparently get there wood from the exact same place).

Unlike most of the interwebs, Im dubious to how political it all actually all is....(at least on the UN Governments side).

But I'm not American or a luthier, so this is pure unadulterated woefully uniformed opinion from me! :dance:
Scott wrote:But did they really need SWAT? :smashed: lol
No, but I would assume that it would be standard practice on a raid that size and type to have armed federal employees? Don't think Obama was out there with a Heckler & Koch MP5 in one arm and a Little Martin LX strapped to his back?
DucRyder

Re:

Post by DucRyder »

peps1 wrote:I do feel a little sorry for Gibson; I'm no lawyer, but it seems they would not have violated the Lacey act if the rose wood fret boards had been shipped to them as unprocessed blanks, rather then having been partly machined in India.....(akin to Martin guitars, who apparently get there wood from the exact same place).

As the government concedes in the agreement, “certain questions and inconsistencies now exist regarding” the legality of the Indian wood. Consequently, the government has resolved that it “will not undertake enforcement actions related to Gibson’s future orders, purchases, or imports of [wood] from India, unless and until the Government of India provides specific clarification” regarding its legality or illegality.

The US government was trying to enforce some Indian laws that even the Indians didnt enforce, in the US. Complete, moronic, beaurocratic twats. They ended up costing the US taxpayers to prosecute a losing case and cost Gibson 2.4million in legal costs. Total dipshits running this country for many, many years.
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

DucRyder wrote:Total dipshits running this country Gibson for many, many years.
:hihi:
Condolences, the bums lost!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Clay, well said. :headbanger:
peps1

Re: Re:

Post by peps1 »

DucRyder wrote:
peps1 wrote: The US government was trying to enforce some Indian laws that even the Indians didnt enforce
In fairness, the Lacey Act is a US law, and Gibson put their hands up as guilty agreeing to a criminal enforcement agreement to avoiding criminal persecution, the DOJ dint loses a case as there never was a costly prosecution thanks to the agreement. :paranoid:

Have attached the US Vs Gibson criminal enforcement agreement for a laugh!
USvGibsonGuitarAgreement.pdf
(866.15 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I think the real crime is the Firebird X :-P
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (35 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ You really should give folks a warning before you post pics like that, ChrisC. I haven't been able to stop crying since I saw that. My eyes, my eyes…
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Yeah, that really is crossing the line. I was going to defend Gibson but the Firebird X is unforgiveable.
It's like an orange on a toothpick