Tremolo Pedals - School me!

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Snufkino

Re: Tremolo Pedals - School me!

Post by Snufkino »

Laservampire wrote:Does ANYTHING out there do subtle well?! Everything with a wet/dry mix seems to get very lopsided when the depth is down, which makes sense if you're mixing a constant signal in with a triangle wave signal, whereas the Dano keeps the same on/off cycles even all the way down.

I just got a cheap Mooer Trelicopter (Tremulator clone) to try out but I'm not all that confident it will fit the bill.
I think an optical tremolo (which the Mooer must be I guess) should work well, but if not, I'd recommend the Moog Minifooger Tremolo. Might be a bit overkill for your needs but it does the subtle thing exceptionally well since you can dial the tone down in addition to the depth. Basically you get the tremolo kind of underneath the signal. I could get a nice subtle, amp-like tremolo with the depth at 9 o' clock or less, and the tone backed off a little to about 3 0'clock.
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

I can say one thing, the Mooer Trelicopter beats the pants off the Boss TR-2.

It manages the subtle sounds of the Dano, though it's a bit harder to dial in and not as pleasingly amp-like, but there isn't any of the useless lop-sidedness of the Boss. Sounds smooth all the way down.

The advantage of the Mooer is that it does everything else that the Dano can't do, and is much better at it than the Boss. The "bias" knob is absolutely magic, I'm not sure if it's changing the wave shape or what but at fully CCW it's straight up vintage trem, working it's way up through chewy Valco amp trem, all the way to helicopter square wave stutter. The Boss purports to do this as well, but it's nowhere near as musical and satisfying as the Mooer.

The only downside of the Mooer is the fact it has to be placed after a buffered pedal, otherwise you get clicks in time with the oscillation, which is annoying. Haven't tested it with battery power only though (9V clip wired to a DC jack)
Ben
Dr.Mabuse

Post by Dr.Mabuse »

Quick detour. I love this tremolo. I've heard it's a Vox AC30.
Snufkino

Post by Snufkino »

Laservampire wrote:
The advantage of the Mooer is that it does everything else that the Dano can't do, and is much better at it than the Boss. The "bias" knob is absolutely magic, I'm not sure if it's changing the wave shape or what but at fully CCW it's straight up vintage trem, working it's way up through chewy Valco amp trem, all the way to helicopter square wave stutter. The Boss purports to do this as well, but it's nowhere near as musical and satisfying as the Mooer.

The only downside of the Mooer is the fact it has to be placed after a buffered pedal, otherwise you get clicks in time with the oscillation, which is annoying. Haven't tested it with battery power only though (9V clip wired to a DC jack)
Chugs made me a Demeter clone a fair while back which has the bias and a volume control so you could see if he still does one off builds if you ever want to step up from the Mooer. :party:
breadfan

Post by breadfan »

Is there a pedal out there that can do a Vox style tremolo?
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

breadfan wrote:Is there a pedal out there that can do a Vox style tremolo?
Plenty of Vox Repeat Percussion clones out there:

http://north-effects.co.uk/repeat-percussion

http://earthquakerdevices.com/shop/Humm ... /cat/13100

http://ronsound.com/index.php?main_page ... ducts_id=9

Or Radiotron has an original up for sale here for a great price: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20054
breadfan

Post by breadfan »

HorseyBoy wrote:
breadfan wrote:Is there a pedal out there that can do a Vox style tremolo?
Plenty of Vox Repeat Percussion clones out there:

http://north-effects.co.uk/repeat-percussion

http://earthquakerdevices.com/shop/Humm ... /cat/13100

http://ronsound.com/index.php?main_page ... ducts_id=9

Or Radiotron has an original up for sale here for a great price: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20054
Sorry dude, I missed your reply!

Excellent, cheers for that! I'm pretty much spoilt for choice :badteeth:
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Depends what kind of Vox trem you want. Theres the repeat percussion which was noted, but Vox amps used a phase shift oscillator which is very different sounding. My Balls Oscillationist pedal uses a phase shift oscillator circuit and sounds for like Vox and Fender amp trem.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Which is the one Keef used for gimmie shelter again? A Vox type?
Sonofthunder

Post by Sonofthunder »

I got a EHX Super Pulsar last week after having my eyes on it since it was released and man.... it does NOT disappoint. If you seek for versatility and tap temp (which is a must for me personally) this is a good choice.

Check the demo:

Good things, come to those who hate.