Best Double Tracker In A Pedal?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

thebends9

Best Double Tracker In A Pedal?

Post by thebends9 »

I need to get my Beatles on; Is there anything out there better than the Strymon Deco?
The Captain wrote: If you find a 'fake' transistor in a D*A*M pedal I will literally eat my own dick. Confident I am.
Dr Tony Balls

Re: Best Double Tracker In A Pedal?

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Keely makes that 30ms Double Tracker, as well. I've built mono/stereo analog ones before but they're more like a very very short delay that goes from subtle doubling to slapback at the longest setting...no verb or "tape saturation" though, like the aforementioned digital effects.
NoctisAvis

Post by NoctisAvis »

While I will recommend the DOUBLE TRACK mode in my '82 PolyFlange...personally...the selector knob is either pointing to FLANGER or CHORUS at any given moment in time.
However if I had a second unit, that one could be parked in DT or FILTER MATRIX mode :cthulhu: :cthulhu2:
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

NoctisAvis wrote:While I will recommend the DOUBLE TRACK mode in my '82 PolyFlange...
That's what I have built. Just the double track.
thebends9

Post by thebends9 »

No through the zero on the aforementioned ones?
The Captain wrote: If you find a 'fake' transistor in a D*A*M pedal I will literally eat my own dick. Confident I am.
sciencefriction

Post by sciencefriction »

I'm wondering the same thing. I did some reading and it seems like a lot of people prefer the Keeley 30ms to Strymon Deco, in regards to the features that both share. It also sounded like the tape saturation was pretty subtle on the Strymon Deco, and I'm still not one for digital FX in that arena. I'm leaning towards trying out the Keeley 30ms, but there is another revision so I'm trying to wait for that.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

thebends9 wrote:No through the zero on the aforementioned ones?
The deco does through zero
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
NoctisAvis

Post by NoctisAvis »

Something about a 2knob "digital tape saturation" pedal lowkey bugs me to this day.
Haven't personally tried a Deco but I've researched them; they sound pretty good on both sides for the most part in other hands/rigs. I do like the doubletrack side's flanging more than the doubletracking or the so-called tape saturation side.
But I am not a fan of the way Strymon pedals are voiced when clipping. And this pedal...aint tape saturation to my ear.
:hmm:
Yes there's compression & rolloff, breakup... but conspicuously lacking is the headroom & behavior of +4dBu signals compared to the -10dBv signal chain of a guitar/bass rig. Also how each tape machine and tape formula has its own frequency response curve and running different speeds yields different character, color. At 30ips the highs are sweeter & 15ips the bottom end has more mass; the difference is dramatic. The console/mixing desk used is another potential gamechanger. Some pro level decks can handle excess of +12dB and still sound dynamic...often creating a boost/dip curve and instead of tightening everything up sounds gain mass & expand in spite of the compression. The right side does not account for any of this.

Alone, the Deco's (left side) sounds more like a tweaked, hot-rodded Dyna Comp to me. Gimmicky...but not bad. Could be fun!
Yggdrazil

Post by Yggdrazil »

Just saw this novelties from TC Electronics
Hopefully, this one is the One :crackjam:
Instagram:@Stonefly_effects

The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world.>David Fair
Laservampire

Post by Laservampire »

I can’t speak for the “accuracy” of the tap saturation effect compared to the real thing, but it sure does sound nice for adding a bit of warmth and depth to your sound. Cranked full with humbuckers you can get a really complex sounding overdrive tone.

The other side is really great too, best slapback sound I’ve heard from a pedal. The doubling effects are really sweet too, I plugged my Hohner Pianet N into it and managed to pull up the exact electric piano sound from I Am The Walrus within seconds.
Ben