JMI Trash

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Lee

JMI Trash

Post by Lee »

"Acid Fuzz on their Facebook Page Wrote"

Many of the newer production “mojo” germanium transistors you see out there on the market are the byproduct of the work I did with a Srilankan electrical engineer who was trained in the 1960’s when germanium was the norm. As the owner of Acid Fuzz pedals I have been collecting the holy grail fuzz transistors since my 20’s and several years ago I realized that they are now ~all gone. It became such an issue that some were even faking devices by re-stamping transistors with “NKT275” etc… So, as a lover of vintage fuzz sounds who could see the end of the road ahead, I decided to do something about the situation. I found an engineer who knew the germanium wafer manufacturing process exceedingly well and we spent several years and more money than I care to admit making clones of the best examples from my collection.

Acid Fuzz is a small company and we do almost zero marketing. So, very few people actually know these devices exist. We use them in our own pedals and do not sell the transistors as such. What’s unfortunate is that I received a fuzz pedal for repair made by a very well known larger company in the UK with a three letter acronym name. When I agreed to repair the pedal which the owner described as “noisy” and “just does not sound right for the money I paid”, I had no idea the the manufacturer was actually purchasing my rejected transistors and using them in their products, marketing them as “NOS” transistors, meaning New Old Stock. I was shocked to see my rejected transistors in a product that cost twice as much as an Acid Fuzz pedal. The owner said it was new, but I had to be sure it wasn’t a case of someone tampering with the pedal and re-selling it. So, I ordered one directly from the company in the UK. That confirmed things. My rejected transistors again.

The deal I have with my manufacturer is that because I did the work to get the ball rolling with these devices, agreed to their terms, and supplied the originals, I have first dibs on every batch and select out the best for our pedals. Due to the nature of germanium, the specs are all over the place. So, I reject many of them. When we were in the prototyping stage, which took a long time to get right, I often rejected 100% of entire batches. As you can imagine, that gets expensive, quickly. So, as the devices did meet data sheet specs, they could technically be used in other circuits, such as switches, radios, etc… with good results. So, they were sold off by the manufacturer and other vendors to recoup costs. They may have met data sheet specs, but for one reason or another, in the real world they just weren’t up to the task sonically for our pedals.

Unfortunately Ivan, the engineer I worked with to develop these clones passed away. He was a very enthusiastic and kind man who thoroughly enjoyed working on this project. He usually worked on devices for military use and coming from war torn Sri Lanka he liked the idea of making devices that were used to make music, not war. Fortunately his work was saved and the new engineer agreed to continue where he left off.

I'm positive Dave isn't using fake newer made transistors this guy needs kicked in his face. I'm repulsed that another builder has to stoop this low
Last edited by Lee on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
superslidetail

Re: Acid Fuzz is Accussing D*A*M of using Non Original Trans

Post by superslidetail »

Guy on TGP posted this too, he's referring to JMI not DAM.
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
Lee

Post by Lee »

I hope so

I read in the comments of the Facebook post and D*A*M was mentioned
rafmax

Post by rafmax »

BPC is 3 letter too, no ?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Yeah it is JMI sorry folks but when I read everything too fast

Painkillers for my back and weed really messes with my reading and remembering
The Captain

Re: delete

Post by The Captain »

Lee wrote:I'm positive Dave isn't using fake newer made transistors....
Yup, I'm pretty positive about this too. If you find a 'fake' transistor in a D*A*M pedal I will literally eat my own dick. Confident I am.

:party:
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

We can keep it going as long as it's made clear it's the Harrison cunts we're talking about.
I still think paying the fucked up prices for originals would be cheaper than having your own made. :confusedteeth:
Condolences, the bums lost!
Lee

Post by Lee »

What's the fake transistors are they talking about that's newer made? Is it the DSI OC81D? They are garbage but not fake.
Electric Warrior

Re: JMI Trash

Post by Electric Warrior »

They're new production tranistors that were marketed as NOS.
But I believe he's talking about NJS OC75s. At least there are images of what looks like NJS transistors on the Acid Fuzz website.
Everything is transitional.
Pahathuasyndicate

Re: JMI Trash

Post by Pahathuasyndicate »

Last edited by Pahathuasyndicate on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.