New Matamp Site

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Steve
The Artist Formerly Known As KT66

Re: New Matamp Site

Post by Steve »

weasel_face wrote:I've had some problems to say the least and so far am pretty disappointed. I'll share my experience honestly and people can take from it what they like. If you saw my instagram post sorry you have to read it again.

It arrived in the first week of April with warped face plates ( front and back ) and when I switched it on it was making clicking/popping noises constantly. I found a great tech and he explained it could be arcing. It's worth noting the tube sockets were pretty filthy and input jacks were really gritty ( left metallic residue under from taking a lead in and out). My tech went through everything and couldn't find anything obviously broken, damaged or loose so he cleaned it out and I got it back. Turned it on that night and after two minutes it made this insanely loud buzz hum so I turned it off immediately and called him back.

The choke and transformers were powder coated black which could have caused a grounding issue hence the pops and possibly the buzz. The company sent a non coated choke, set of new tubes/ tube sockets and a schematic marked gt120 mv mkii which didn't match.

Ive only had this amp back for the last 12 days since it first arrived when on Friday it cut out while I was playing . I thought a speaker cable had come loose and it had blown a fuse but a tube was lit up like a Christmas tree so I switched off. It had red plated and took it back to my tech and we found out that the screen voltage is very high which could have done that or it was a shit tube. The company weren't surprised by this and said the way it's designed it eats tubes and if they altered it they said people wouldn't be happy as it's not authentic.

I'm in contact with them about what the next step is so I'll report back in the next week or so with the outcome.
Sorry to hear that mate. What a pain in the arse.....
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

total nightmare, hopefully it all works out, keep us updated :tu:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

weasel_face wrote:It had red plated and took it back to my tech and we found out that the screen voltage is very high which could have done that or it was a shit tube. The company weren't surprised by this and said the way it's designed it eats tubes and if they altered it they said people wouldn't be happy as it's not authentic.
This sounds like hogwash to me.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

What a nightmare. I am surprised this place is still in business.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Steve
The Artist Formerly Known As KT66

Post by Steve »

1bottlerocket wrote:What a nightmare. I am surprised this place is still in business.
Have they had reliability problems in the past? I've never dealt with them. I can only imagine the frustration, having to ship that out here and paying import tax as well only to have to deal with this.
weasel_face

Post by weasel_face »

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
weasel_face wrote:It had red plated and took it back to my tech and we found out that the screen voltage is very high which could have done that or it was a shit tube. The company weren't surprised by this and said the way it's designed it eats tubes and if they altered it they said people wouldn't be happy as it's not authentic.
This sounds like hogwash to me.
Unfortunately it's the case man. The email from them to my tech says they weren't surprised it red plated because the tubes can't take the power going through them and if they change the circuit it wouldn't be authentic, just relaying what's been said. They've been considering dropping the voltages themselfs. Like I said could be a shit tube but I'm told those voltages shouldnt be that high, just worth being aware of.
Instagram: @weasel_face_
weasel_face

Post by weasel_face »

Far as I can tell from the internet it's been 50/50 with issues in the past but yeah it's only what you read. I know two other people who've had problems which came from the batch before mine and one guy in the lot after. The amp is working now but it's hard to say 100% if something else won't happen haha. I honestly love the thing but it kinda comes down to how far would you go for an amp?
Instagram: @weasel_face_
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

You don't want the thing to catch fire or cut out in the middle of a show. It sounds like a death pill. I suppose if they do try and change things for the better, they'd have the vintage die-hards complaining that they weren't 'as good' as the originals.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

Theres no point cloning something 1 to 1 if its shit... they should take a page from Dave's book and make modern upgrades which don't affect the tone at all...
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

^^^This.
-Garfunk M. Rafferty