Post by redeyeflight »

Easy to change the magnet in a pickup?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
skelt101

Re: Gibson Les Paul

Post by skelt101 »

redeyeflight wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:52 am Easy to change the magnet in a pickup?
If it doesn’t have a cover, very easy! A little less so with a cover.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Sounds like too much effort, I think I’d rather just get a different set of pickups.

I do wonder about how consistent pickups are. Redeyeflight’s description of the OX4 bridge doesn’t sound at all like mine. It does sound like a Bareknuckle Mule I once had though, it was really trebly and thin, I got rid of it quick. I played a different LP with a different Mule in it which sounded great, nothing like the one I had at all.

I had a set of Throbak’s 101+’s in my ES-335 which were ok but nothing special. Not much different from the stock burstbuckers to be honest. I replaced them with a set of Monty’s which are great. I’ll try the OX4’s in there next time I change strings, just because I’ve got a spare set and am curious how they’ll be in that guitar.
simonm

Post by simonm »

All this pickup talk makes my head spin - I've never actually owned a 2 humbucker guitar, but I've had 3 different old P90s in my refin 50s Junior. The last change (to an 8.3K vintage '58 dogear) was a few weeks ago - for the first half hour it sounded different, then not so much. A week later it's pretty hard to remember exactly how the 'new' compares to the old. I wasn't sure I liked when it was first installed, but now it sounds great!
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

P-90's are similar sounding overall, of course older ones from 50's have bit nicer tone and more detail...humbuckers and Les Paul's
combo is more complicated story
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I’m guessing more wood ( weight ) more of a darker tone.
Bright pickups should brighten it up.
But if you’ve got a light guitar which could be bright to begin with and put a bright pickup in ...
my A4 OX4 can be on the brighter side in my R8 but I usually back the tone of to about 7 which takes the edge off the highs.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Doc Holliday wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:03 pm I’m guessing more wood ( weight ) more of a darker tone.
Bright pickups should brighten it up.
But if you’ve got a light guitar which could be bright to begin with and put a bright pickup in ...
my A4 OX4 can be on the brighter side in my R8 but I usually back the tone of to about 7 which takes the edge off the highs.
This. Im totally not a tone knob guy. I should probably do a bit more experimentation with that. Ive been doing a bit of tweaking to my 335 as well I'm linking the results a bit more but itll be hard to tell until I play it in a live band situation.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Philip

Post by Philip »

In my sporadic live experience all the geeking, tweaking and pondering about tone was rendered meaningless the moment the drums and bass kicked in. Everything was brought down to can you be heard and is it ball park sound wise enough to get the point across? :smashed:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I do agree with this ^ it’s like on stage no one knows whether your also using a ts10 or Ts9.
Still I do find playing with the controls can change the way I approach my playing. More in the feel of the instrument too.
I also don’t rate standard Gibson pots for good tone.
RS for volume and Mojotone for tone. 500k True vintage taper ( TVT ).
50s wiring too is a piece of piss to set up.
This thread is great. I spent 3 hours yesterday swapping my OX4 pickups around.
Currently my 58 vos has a A2 bridge A4 neck and the Tokai gold top has A4 bridge A5 neck.
I’ll give my conclusion later!
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

Philip wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:55 pm In my sporadic live experience all the geeking, tweaking and pondering about tone was rendered meaningless the moment the drums and bass kicked in. Everything was brought down to can you be heard and is it ball park sound wise enough to get the point across? :smashed:
This :badteeth:

Anytime I’ve played live with my LP standard, no one gave a shit what I was using, it’s hard enough just to hear yourself in most shitty venues I’ve played. Get in tune, turn up and hope you remember the chords lol.