Gibson Les Paul

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

redeyeflight

Re: Gibson Les Paul

Post by redeyeflight »

I guess that's the other rabbit hole one can fall down into...if I upgrade the pickups should I also update the wiring? Honestly I literally never use the tone knob on my guitar...it's always full whack. But I do like having a volume that doesn't eviserate the high end as its turned down
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I’ve done it to all 3 of my les Paul’s. PIO caps, switchcraft switch and jack, cts vt pots and 50s wiring.
I don’t notice how great it all sounds until I play my dad’s les Paul’s which are all stock.
I never used to mess with the controls much until I did it. Now I’m always tweeking them on the fly. Depends on your playing style I guess. Just my opinion obviously.
phidias

Post by phidias »

Doc Holliday wrote:And guys... just to be a fucker... 50’s wiring and CTS vintage taper pots are the icing on the cake!! That’s if you like icing... I hear some don’t.
No, you are not a fucker. IMHO, this is exactly what has to be done, and in first place, before thinking about swaping stock PUs. Let those stock PUs perform at their best, and then decide if you want to swap them.
I Love Rock'n'Roll - Compression Kills The Music - Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Buy Today!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Indeed! Those custom buckers were very good. I just wanted more of a different flavour. The vintage type OX4’s are low wound so they’re really dynamic without any muddy ness. More for the jazz blues classic rock funk guitarists. I find burst buckers for me sound better with a tad more gain.
I also had some 498 & 500T’s?? In a 2001 les Paul. Great with fuzz but we’re far from vintage to my ears.
phidias

Post by phidias »

My Lester. 2010 R7 with Faber locking HW, Jonesyblues harness (21 Tone Jimmy Page) and BKP Mules.

I Love Rock'n'Roll - Compression Kills The Music - Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Buy Today!
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

Doc Holliday wrote:Antti how do you rate the sheds to OX4?
I rate the OX4s much higher, only because they weren't a complete nightmare to get. :badteeth:
I can't directly compare the two, as I didn't have them at the same time or try them in the same guitar. Also the Sheds were A4 and OX4s I have now are A5. Both were wound about the same with both neck and bridge wound around 7.8k, which I prefer over the common style of having the bridge pickup wound stronger. I found the Sheds a bit too loose on wound strings, which I attribute the A4 magnets. I wanted to like them because many people consider them to be the magnet for PAFs, but for me A5 just works better. I had a pair of Sheptone Tributes with A5s in the past and found them a bit brash, but these OX4s don't have that problem at all. They're nice and bloomy, with just enough tightness in the low end.

The good thing with OX4 is that Mark will wind just about anything you ask for. So I'd get in contact him and describe what you're after and I'm sure he'll have recommendations on what he thinks would fit the bill.
Condolences, the bums lost!
phidias

Post by phidias »

Laundromat wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:Antti how do you rate the sheds to OX4?
I found the Sheds a bit too loose on wound strings, which I attribute the A4 magnets. ...but for me A5 just works better. I had a pair of Sheptone Tributes with A5s in the past and found them a bit brash, but these OX4s don't have that problem at all. They're nice and bloomy, with just enough tightness in the low end.
Hey we got the same opinion on magnets... Now I'm gassing for an A4 neck / A5 bridge OX4 set :freakout:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

phidias wrote:My Lester. 2010 R7 with Faber locking HW, Jonesyblues harness (21 Tone Jimmy Page) and BKP Mules.

Looks great!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Antti I agree! I wouldn’t consider the A4’s to be “the PAF tone” ... as my A2 OX4 bridge sounds just as good for old school tones!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »