Gibson Les Paul

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

redeyeflight

Re: Gibson Les Paul

Post by redeyeflight »

Bright and clear is definitely what I'm looking for!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Think Doctor X recently just bought some PG OX4’s in a limited run...
phidias

Post by phidias »

Doc Holliday wrote:Bare knuckle mules are also great! Little bit more aggressive than the OX4’s. I prefer the OX4’s though.
Yep my A4’s are clear and bright. My A2 and A5 combo are not as bright nor clear but sound awesome. Think they’re a little hotter!
I have a Mule set (A4 neck, A5 bridge for a little extra bite and cut) in my R7. Do you think I'm going to find a night and day difference if I try an OX4 set? TBH, I'm really satisfied with my current set, however I'm more than willing to try something new if it is going to be better. Which set do you recommend knowing what I currently have?
I Love Rock'n'Roll - Compression Kills The Music - Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Buy Today!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Ooh it’s hard to say as it’s all subjective isn’t it.
I moved my bare knuckles on when I got the 0X4’s.
Personally I think bare knuckle are amazing although compared to the OX4’s I would say they sounded a little more modern. The OX4’s just ooze vintage tones. But that’s just me. I’ve never played an original 58/59/60 les Paul but to my ears the OX4’s just help me sound like the songs I love.
I think you can’t go wrong with A4’s! They’re an all rounder. IMO I feel they cover alot of bases. And mine are low wound. So I can crank my vintage amps louder for that beautiful amp breakup.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

But hey if it ain’t broke maybe don’t fix it :)
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

You've all got me gassing for a set of OX4's now :co:

I've got stock Custom Buckers in my R7 but would like to hear it with some lower output PAFalikes. Has anyone tried the OX4 vs Custom Bucker?
phidias

Post by phidias »

Doc Holliday wrote:But hey if it ain’t broke maybe don’t fix it :)
Yes, but...
stella_blues wrote:You've all got me gassing for a set of OX4's now :co:
This.
I Love Rock'n'Roll - Compression Kills The Music - Never Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Can Buy Today!
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Doc Holliday wrote:Think Doctor X recently just bought some PG OX4’s in a limited run...
Yeah, they're class. I had some standard OX4's in my Les Paul previously, I think I'll put those in my 335 and see if I prefer them to the Monty's.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Mr Blues ^ i had the custom buckers in my R8 2014 model which were very nice .. but I preferred the BKP. Sold the customs. Can’t remember how I came across the OX4’s?? What sold me was Stu said he had a set and they were close to his pickups in his 60’s SG.

Look ... if you don’t like them I reckon they’re pretty easy to sell on. Dev had a OX4 bluesbreaker set he was selling ages ago as I don’t think he got around to using them... don’t know if he still has them?!

Doc X do the montys rate highly ? I’d like to try some at some point!

Antti how do you rate the sheds to OX4?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

And guys... just to be a fucker... 50’s wiring and CTS vintage taper pots are the icing on the cake!! That’s if you like icing... I hear some don’t.