Gibson Les Paul

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Doc Holliday

Re: Gibson Les Paul

Post by Doc Holliday »

Doctor X wrote:Yeah, I'm looking forward to checking them out. They should hopefully arrive in the next few days.

So did they arrive?
bazguitar

Post by bazguitar »

Here"s my Les Paul :tu:
Attachments
les paul costum.jpg
les paul costum.jpg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 3518 times
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Doc Holliday wrote:
Doctor X wrote:Yeah, I'm looking forward to checking them out. They should hopefully arrive in the next few days.

So did they arrive?
Yes! I've put them in my ES-335 rather than my Les Paul, though. First impressions are very positive, I'm liking them more than the Throbak's in this guitar. I've not been able to play much though because we've got a new baby in the house.
Mr. Legit

Post by Mr. Legit »

stella_blues wrote:
Mr. Legit wrote:
stella_blues wrote:Word is Henry has stopped production of Historics for the foreseeable future. Maybe there's just too many 16 models sitting in shops unsold, these true historics have a ridiculous price tag attached to them for what is basically a historic with different plastics :hmm: :popcorn:
I have also been hearing this same claim from friends of mine. I guess this means that one day our Historics will be worth some real coin. Do you know if they will keep the custom order type of program? The True Historics have a deeper cutaway which is closer to the originals though. That has always been my major criticism of past Historics. On almost if not all vintage '50s Gibson Les Paul Sunbursts I have seen at guitar shows, the pickguard always looks like it is so close to the cutaway. Or in other words, the pickguard always looks like it is imposing on the cutaway, and this major detail(deeper cut) is present in the True Historics I have seen. Its still a lot of money to spend though, but if I had the cash and I were looking for a new Les Paul, it would either be a True Historic or a special English replica. The plastics matter to me as well, but I am just anal about these sort of details Hahaha

I'm not sure the cutaway is deeper, surely Gibson have the body shape right after years of reissues....more the scratchplate moved closer to the cutaway.

A true historic in the UK costs around £5000 for an R8, nearly double the price of a regular historic. Prob better getting a Historic Makeover done to a regular R8, plus you'll get a Brazilian board, something Gibson have rarely offered.

EDIT: This article gives the differences another couple of grand will get you.

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/ ... comparison
Thanks Stella for pointing that out! Ah, I didn't know it was just the location of the pickguard that was moved. Anyways, it looks better and much closer to that of the originals I have seen in person. Past Historics have this enormous gap that is bothersome.

I don't want to toot Gibsons whistle, but things are usually worth more when they are from the original brand. I would take a Historic Makeover any day, but if one were to sell the guitar one day, I reckon they wouldn't get much for it in return. For example, having your vintage Porsche restored by Porsche will be worth more than having your vintage Porsche restored by a third party no matter the quality. I feel the True Historics might one day bring in far more of a return investment than a Historic Makeovers guitar in my opinion. I am also one of those people that have pondered many times over sending my guitar in for the Real Deal treatment.
Mr. Legit

Post by Mr. Legit »

bazguitar wrote:Here"s my Les Paul :tu:
I love Customs, and I had a 1974 Custom a long time ago. I always regretted getting rid of it, but the thing weighed a bazillion pounds. What year is that one from?
bazguitar

Post by bazguitar »

Mr. Legit wrote:
bazguitar wrote:Here"s my Les Paul :tu:
I love Customs, and I had a 1974 Custom a long time ago. I always regretted getting rid of it, but the thing weighed a bazillion pounds. What year is that one from?
My Custom is a 1969 and weigh's a tonne took it to my local guitar store
as the had a new Custom shop 68 in stock mine was twice the weight of the new guitar Ha ha :headbanger:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Mr. Legit wrote:
stella_blues wrote:
Mr. Legit wrote:
stella_blues wrote:Word is Henry has stopped production of Historics for the foreseeable future. Maybe there's just too many 16 models sitting in shops unsold, these true historics have a ridiculous price tag attached to them for what is basically a historic with different plastics :hmm: :popcorn:
I have also been hearing this same claim from friends of mine. I guess this means that one day our Historics will be worth some real coin. Do you know if they will keep the custom order type of program? The True Historics have a deeper cutaway which is closer to the originals though. That has always been my major criticism of past Historics. On almost if not all vintage '50s Gibson Les Paul Sunbursts I have seen at guitar shows, the pickguard always looks like it is so close to the cutaway. Or in other words, the pickguard always looks like it is imposing on the cutaway, and this major detail(deeper cut) is present in the True Historics I have seen. Its still a lot of money to spend though, but if I had the cash and I were looking for a new Les Paul, it would either be a True Historic or a special English replica. The plastics matter to me as well, but I am just anal about these sort of details Hahaha

I'm not sure the cutaway is deeper, surely Gibson have the body shape right after years of reissues....more the scratchplate moved closer to the cutaway.

A true historic in the UK costs around £5000 for an R8, nearly double the price of a regular historic. Prob better getting a Historic Makeover done to a regular R8, plus you'll get a Brazilian board, something Gibson have rarely offered.

EDIT: This article gives the differences another couple of grand will get you.

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/ ... comparison
Thanks Stella for pointing that out! Ah, I didn't know it was just the location of the pickguard that was moved. Anyways, it looks better and much closer to that of the originals I have seen in person. Past Historics have this enormous gap that is bothersome.

I don't want to toot Gibsons whistle, but things are usually worth more when they are from the original brand. I would take a Historic Makeover any day, but if one were to sell the guitar one day, I reckon they wouldn't get much for it in return. For example, having your vintage Porsche restored by Porsche will be worth more than having your vintage Porsche restored by a third party no matter the quality. I feel the True Historics might one day bring in far more of a return investment than a Historic Makeovers guitar in my opinion. I am also one of those people that have pondered many times over sending my guitar in for the Real Deal treatment.
I agree with the Porsche statement.
Still do Gibson put PIO caps in there true historics? I'm not sure they do. PIO caps came in the originals and Gibson uses modern caps probably worth a buck or two and have a bumble bee looking plastic cap surrounding it.
The custom buckers are also very good but ... they didn't do it for me. Better than burst buckets for a vintage tone but those seeking true PAF tone... I think we have far more superior winders these days. Stu Castledine said the OX4's were the closest thing he'd tried to his originals in his 60s SG.
I think it's subjective. If I bought a true historic for £5000 + I'd want the real deal. For me even the true historics are just the best Gibson make. They still miss things out so it's still not 100% accurate. Those custom buckers covers aren't even shaped right are they? Value will probably hold better than a Vos that's been tampered with but for me guitars are for playing. Personally I'd rather buy a £100 guitar that sounded like a 59 les Paul than £5000 that looked like one.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I have been following the pricing on these newer Gibson models and they seem to have shot up exponentially on the price scale. I played a few in Japan and I liked them, but I could not bring myself to pay the insane asking prices.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Mr. Legit

Post by Mr. Legit »

Doc Holliday wrote:
I agree with the Porsche statement.
Still do Gibson put PIO caps in there true historics? I'm not sure they do. PIO caps came in the originals and Gibson uses modern caps probably worth a buck or two and have a bumble bee looking plastic cap surrounding it.
The custom buckers are also very good but ... they didn't do it for me. Better than burst buckets for a vintage tone but those seeking true PAF tone... I think we have far more superior winders these days. Stu Castledine said the OX4's were the closest thing he'd tried to his originals in his 60s SG.
I think it's subjective. If I bought a true historic for £5000 + I'd want the real deal. For me even the true historics are just the best Gibson make. They still miss things out so it's still not 100% accurate. Those custom buckers covers aren't even shaped right are they? Value will probably hold better than a Vs that's been tampered with but for me guitars are for playing. Personally I'd rather buy a £100 guitar that sounded like a 59 les Paul than £5000 that looked like one.
I agree though that there are still key details that the Gibson Custom Shop leaves out. Now whether they leave these things on purpose as some might believe is beyond me. I have friends who can't hear a difference from when they swapped the fake Bees with real ones from MSSC when they were still around. The Gibson Custom Shop guitars that have come out in the past couple yeas have been the best Gibson has made since the 60's in my opinion. I also agree, I recently swapped out my Custom Buckers, but not because I didn't think they were good, but they were just a little too punchy. The covers on the True Historics are far better than before from what I remember from the ones I have seen and held. The covers back in the day all had different shapes as well, and personally, I like the DMC Version II covers the best as far as modern ones go. This means that the True Historics could have correct covers to specific 50's Gibson, but then again I haven't seen a 50's Les Paul compared to a True Historic side by side. Then again, most people outside of these forums don't buy a '59 Reissue for any of the picky details we care about. I also agree, that tone comes first, but its fun to want what our guitar heroes had.
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

Zuff-1A wrote:Nice Paul :tu: :cheers:

Tried 60's T-Top bridge in mine and it rocks in really good way
clean sound's are bit boring but all stuff "under drive" works :crackjam:
Low notes sounds nice and tight, quite different from PAF compressed sweetness
but I can say more after playing couple days in different situations...
Went back to Dave Stephens in neck and Raw Vintage in bridge.
They have incredible PAF magic together. Both pickups
don't play as nice if paired with some other PU-s (or alone)

T-Top is cool but I feel it needs overall bassier and
softer sounding guitar, and maybe Marshall amp. I have 50's/60's US rock'n'roll devices only.
It is screaming type pickup and plays only one direction - ROCK. Screams in good way.
Had couple years ago 5 (electric) guitars but in reality cared and played max two...other's sold for now.
Must resist buy one special guitar for Rock and load it with 60's T-Top's :whistle: