General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Zuff-1A

Re: Gibson Les Paul

Post by Zuff-1A »

for fatter and creamier bridge tone:
slash signature
burstbucker II
seymour duncan antiquity (most detailed)
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

My mate just ordered OX4's medium wind A4s for his SG :party: I'm really curious about these.
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

redeyeflight wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:00 pm Well, I finally got a set of OX4's in my gibson 335 (thanks to jerms for the wiring). Aaaaand. The neck pickup is perfect but I think the bridge is a bit too strident. Maybe its just my setup but its not exactly what one woukd expect from a humbucker IMO. They're both A4 low winds. Neck is perfect. Nice clarity but still smooth. Open would be the word I'd use. But the bridge might just be too bright for me. I think I perferred the stock gibson ceramic magnet that was in there before. It was a little constricted in the midrange but the highs were nice and creamy and compressed a little, which seemed to add to the sustain. The ox4 seems like it does nothing to help any kind of sustain in the bridge. Anyone have a suggestion for a different bridge pickup?
If you can stomach the cost, you could email Mark of OX4 and describe what you're after now that there's a starting point with one of his pickups.
Going by your description I'd go with an Alnico 5 bridge that's wound higher. The extra winds would bring some extra beef, while the sturdier magnet would keep the highs there with some compression.

I have to admit that I'm a sucker for a pretty trebly and snarly bridge pickup, just so that I can feel it in my teeth like the solo on I Feel Free. :oldlol:
Condolences, the bums lost!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah TVT pots come in handy too in this case imo
Philip

Post by Philip »

Laundromat wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:36 pm
I have to admit that I'm a sucker for a pretty trebly and snarly bridge pickup, just so that I can feel it in my teeth like the solo on I Feel Free. :oldlol:

Oh yeah!! :freakout:
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Cool thanks guys! Im going to keep messing around with it I guess for a while here. I actually kind of liked the stock pickup, at least for the bridge, so I might just put that back in. I tend to kind of play on the cleaner side of things. I could see this trebley pickup working well for that cream i feel free tone that's a bit more distorted though.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

I really like my ThroBak SLE-101 Plus (Limited Series) that I bought from Jon Gundry in 2008. These are un-oriented alnico 5 magnet PAF's.
https://www.throbak.com/paf-pickups-thr ... -plus.html

I currently have Dr. Vintage pots and vintage bees installed, but I have a set of VIPots on order. Anyone heard about these yet? They're replicas of the old Centralab's that Gibson used back in the day.
https://www.vintageinspiredpickups.com/copy-of-vipots
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Holy crap those throbak's are insanely expensive.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

redeyeflight wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:42 pm Holy crap those throbak's are insanely expensive.
Yeah, it seems like everyone but Gibson has figured out how to make money from Gibson guitars. :hihi:
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

redeyeflight wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:42 pm Holy crap those throbak's are insanely expensive.
I love my Throbak PG-102s. I have had a ton of Peter Green style pickups and the Throbaks have something different going on. They are pretty stupid expensive though. Jon is pretty obsessed with the details though. I always swap to his covers and sometimes his magnets.

Love my OX4 Low Winds as well. Fantastic for the money. Not a fan of the covers he uses though.

You could try swapping the magnet in your bridge pickup. In my limited experience, A4s tend to be kind of strident and emphasize the upper mids. I get ear fatigue with some maker’s pickups with A4. I’ve managed to fatten up more than a few pickups by swapping to A5 magnets.
Last edited by Sauniere on Mon May 07, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.