Gibson P-90 pickups.. fill me in.

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Jerry Pbury

Re: Gibson P-90 pickups.. fill me in.

Post by Jerry Pbury »

I had the Duncan Antiquities in my Les Paul Goldtop, they were OK but I went back to the Gibson P90's as they sound like the original P90's in my 1963 Gibson ES125.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Forget my comment about Phil Harris... good source told me he's a twat so prob best not to associate him with anything that could be good and honest
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

superslidetail wrote:I've never had a guitar with P90's before but I just bought a Les Paul BFG a few months ago that came with a Gibson P90 in the neck. It's super muddy and really bassy, is that normal? Thought about replacing it with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90.
Try dropping the height a little, and check the cap value before replacing the pickup.

If you do decide to replace it, Lollar all the way.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
superslidetail

Post by superslidetail »

Ok, I will give that a try, thanks.
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Drop the height quite a lot & raise the pole pieces. It'll look weird but sound much clearer.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
chatmatt

Post by chatmatt »

Hey - slight commercial, but DAM buddy pricing commercial, so hopefully not too frowned upon. I can build you any custom p90 you can think of (A2, A5, A8, mixed, any output, any string spacing etc.) through Proto Guitars (my company). Just DM me or email me and I'll hook you up at our cost. We make every order from scratch, so it might take a couple weeks longer than just ordering a Lollar, but we can do fun stuff and Im always happy to help fellow DAMers.
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

Doc,
Gibson P-90s might be their most respected current pickup. People usually seem to like them quite well. If you don't get along with them, the aforementioned Lollar and Fralin offerings are pretty popular. Also, you might want to check into Wolfetone and Sanford Magnetics (both in North America). Here is a pretty cool shootout, featuring the (late entry) Sanford's at the end! :tu:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Cheers bro! Yeah watched that Doug and Pat show!! Great video. You are correct this guy turned up today and it does sound good. Knock the volume back just a hair ( like Dev mentioned ) and magically it cleans up but keeps the grit. Full attack and kicks in the compression. I am quite surprised with these Gibson pups.
ZaidAli95

Post by ZaidAli95 »

P90s are hard to fuck up. My junior from 87 has the stock ones. The issue I find is, it tends to pick up signals from radio stations or people next to my rehearsal space but I'm still in love with them. I'd imagine bare knuckle from the uk? But Gibson p90s are fine I'm my opinion. As long as they aren't picking up radio stations.
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

That radio station stuff is cool I think, take it as a free extra pedal
in you chain :badteeth:
Actually it means pickup is sensitive and it should be good thing?

What I know about old P-90's:

Late 40-s - (with round non-adjustable pole pieces) are best for clear and articulate tones, still they rock's too, similar to DeArmonds but with bit fatter tone and Gibson muscle!

50-53 - very dynamic, touch senstitive and beautiful sounding P-90's (long mangnets and adjustable screw pole pieces)

56-57 - best for drive and grit :crackjam:

All I played are dogears though, but there is not much difference
only construction