Fuzz you just don't jive with

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

devnulljp

Re: Fuzz you just don't jive with

Post by devnulljp »

HorseyBoy wrote:Alright, I'll play. For me, it's the Mk II. There, I said it: I don't like Mk IIs, or at least I've never found one I can get on with. Love the Mk I - pretty close to the perfect fuzz circuit for me. And I love the 1.5. I also love my Sola Mk IV. But the Mk II has too much low-end for my liking, and no amount of messing with the attack knob or my guitar's volume pot will get me where I want to be. I think I just prefer a thinner sound. :panic:
Really? I'm not the only one? Too soupy for me, I prefer the MkI, or take it further and go for a Fuzzrite any day.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

devnulljp wrote:Really? I'm not the only one? Too soupy for me, I prefer the MkI, or take it further and go for a Fuzzrite any day.
And apparently there's more than two of us! We can form our own support group…
windjamma

Post by windjamma »

Have you tried the scb mk11? less wooly and a bit brighter.
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

Yes seems like it's the spitty fans of FZ-1 etc vs the MKII fans :hihi:

I'm not a big fan of the Fuzz Factory either, can sound great until you breathe too heavy in its direction, then it's oscillation central....and good luck finding that great setting again :choke:
Philip

Post by Philip »

stella_blues wrote:What fuzz circuits just don't float your boat?
Big Muffs.

:badteeth:
cajone5

Post by cajone5 »

Love -- MKI, Fuzz Factory, Foxx Tone Machine, Fuzzrite (esp. Si), Harmonic Percolator
OK -- MKII, MKIV, Muffs
Dislike -- Fuzz faces (other than the fuzz factory... haven't given up on the circuit yet though), anything described as "wooly"
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I have had a hard time with the Vox Tone Bender circuit. For whatever reason I simply could not dial in a good tone. The exception to this is the El Diablo pedal (I am not sure if the similarities ends at 2 transistors) I really love that build. I also have trouble with overly gated fuzz. I can see using them in limited form but not much more than that.

I am a big fan of the MK I/MK II, Fuzz Face and Big Muff. I think the Grey Sola MK II is my all-time favorite fuzz, followed closely by a very special Fuzz Face I own.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

I can't find much use for the pre-sovtek muff tones. They all sound kind of one-dimensional, just full on smooth sustain for leads and big riffs, no subtlety. I much prefer the sovtek sound.
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

Philip wrote:Big Muffs.

:badteeth:
I have a few of them, but usually I end up bored whenever I play them. Almost as if it's got very fine teeth and too many of them. No chunks left when it's done with the signal.
Condolences, the bums lost!
Captain_Phildo

Post by Captain_Phildo »

Good question - for me it largely depends on the guitar/pickups being used. I used to prefer Fender guitars and Fuzz Faces until very recently, and I now believe that Tone Bender types and Les Pauls are just the perfect match. I don't get the appeal with the Big Muff on any guitar, but I do very much like J Mascis and Dinosaur Jr. I guess it just never worked for me.

Interesting to see the two Tone Bender camps on here though - the thickness of the MkII vs the spit of the MkI. I find myself in the middle, hoping to find a fuzz which nicely balances the two. I've read that the Marshall Supa MkI circuit may be the very thing I am looking for, so I'm eyeing up the Castledine. I thought the SCB Tone Bender might also fit the bill, but it still seems too thick and saturated to do the MkI thing.