Favourite Guitar and Fuzz Pairings?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Captain_Phildo

Favourite Guitar and Fuzz Pairings?

Post by Captain_Phildo »

Hopefully there isn't another thread like this already, but I thought it would be interesting to read people's opinions on what fuzz pedals suit what sort of guitars. I guess some obvious ones would be pairing the Stratocaster with a Fuzz Face, but is there anything else that has really stood out for you? What about fuzzes that gel with less typical or quirky guitars like the Jazzmaster?

For me, I really enjoyed the sound of the D*A*M Fuzz Sound with a Stratocaster. My favourite Bender type with a Strat actually.
innerflight

Re: Favourite Guitar and Fuzz Pairings?

Post by innerflight »

Jazzmaster and Muffs go well together for me

I also love my Jag with my Fuzzsound :party:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
SilverTightrope

Post by SilverTightrope »

I almost always prefer bender types with single coils, they seem to compress a bit too much for my liking with humbuckers...not always, but most of the time. I like what Steve did with the Loony Two to make it more flexible with any pickup type, the addition of the filter knob. Muffs and fuzzfaces, I could go either way depending on the guitar and gain range of the fuzz.
~Actually I think Art lies in both directions - the broad strokes, big picture but on the other hand the minute examination of the apparently mundane. Seeing the whole world in a grain of sand, that kind of thing~ Peter Hammill
Captain_Phildo

Post by Captain_Phildo »

Interesting. I generally dislike Tone Benders with single coils (although I've only tried MkIIs and the Fuzz Sound which was an exception). I don't know why, I guess it sounds too spiky for my liking? If that description makes any sense. I feel that with humbuckers the MkII just decays in a beautiful way, although things can get rather compressed and loose if the settings aren't dialled correctly. In general I love the sort of fuzz tones produced by humbuckers but they are a lot pickier and harder to tame. Eager to try the MkI (particularly the Supa MkI) and see how it goes with various guitars. Mick Ronson did pretty well with the Sola Sound and his LP.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

For me a Telecaster with a MK2, MK1/supa etc sound great. Strat for the fuzz face variety and Humbuckers for zonks, mk3/4 & 2 transistor Vox tone benders. But hey.. guess amps / cabs and speakers should also be taken into account eh.
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

Gibson SG and a Meathead. I've used this combo for 13 years now, don't see it changing anytime soon.
Volume over talent
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

Zonks like hot pickups. My Duo Jet with a P90 and a Dynasonic sounds great.

MKI loves a tele

Supa MKI makes weak pickups sing and snarl

Vox Tonebender makes anything sound awesome, IMO.
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

A Jr of some kind and a fuzzrite!
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
Philip

Post by Philip »

A MKI with anything.

:party:
mplsaustin

Post by mplsaustin »

My jazzmaster and lucifer rising/oc75's kills. With both pickups engaged the Lucy is a bit loud/fuller and then when you flip to the bridge pickup it's thinner with a cocked wah overbite.
I want it louder. Want power.