Sending Funds Internationally (TransferWise vs Paypal vs XE)

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

psycho*daisies

Sending Funds Internationally (TransferWise vs Paypal vs XE)

Post by psycho*daisies »

Hey fellow fuzz freaks!

psycho*davy, here...Looking into different ways to send money (to Macari's in London), I've spent some time comparing the different choices. For a Tone Bender that costs £750 + £25 shipping (£775 total)...

Right now (today), the straight transfer of £775 GBP to USD is about $1028.

•Paypal costs the most & doesn't even tell you what the rate is: what I got from them was a total of $1075, so their fees are $48-50. Fuckthatnoise!

•My bank (Wells Fargo, bleh) comes in as second most expensive. They charge $35 fee to wire money to England. (about $1063 after the fee)

•xe.com, comes in next at about $1048. They say they charge 'no fee' but the rate they give is worse.

•Which brings me to TransferWise, a UK based company.
My total was $1036 (which includes a fee of about $8, so today i paid like $1028 + $8).

Unlike xe, they didn't need a business day or two to approve my account. It's instantaneous if you have the recievers bank info. (which Ant provided me with in an email). Very user friendly and simple process, took me about 15 minutes to send the money. (the dosh will be available Tues morn for ya' Ant, cheers).

**Btw, one thing I wouldn't do here on this forum is share the bank information of the receiver. Get that info by sending an email to the recipient, in advance. With Transferwise, there's also a way to go through the fund sending process and the recipient can enter their bank info themselves to complete the transaction.

At the end of the process (on the sending end) they have you choose your bank as a source, just sign-in to your bank account and they verify it with a code sent to your phone (or other chosen device), you choose which account you want to draw it from ("Checking or Savings?") No need to enter routing numbers, etc. It's really pretty simple.

Here's the cool part:

"Invite 3 friends and earn $75.
Get $75 for every 3 friends who sign up and transfer at least $300.
Your friend will receive a $500 transfer, completely free of charge"

Follow the link (designated to me) below, to get started with TransferWise & save money by NOT using Paypal. And possibly get that sweet bonus above ^ Let me know how it goes.

https://transferwise.com/u/davidf770

I hope this is cool to post here. If it's not let me know.
Obviously, the idea is to lower cost for fuzz purchases by regular guys like you and me - from Macari's & possibly other builders here.
$50 bucks is $50 bucks, right?

More info, FAQ, about "Invite 3 Friends" incentive: https://transferwise.com/invite

Fuzz on... :tu:
Last edited by psycho*daisies on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
beaton.r

Re: Sending Money to Macari's (TransferWise vs Paypal vs XE)

Post by beaton.r »

+1 for tranferwise, just paid for a new guitar being built in the USA...went super smooth.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Cool, which mk1 have you gone for?
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Doctor X wrote:Cool, which mk1 have you gone for?
All four look & sound amazing, but not being filthy rich, picking only one, i
had to go with the one built by David A. Main (the most FZ-like, which I'm all about)
Fortunately, i signed up for this project list two years ago... :squint:

...feel like a kid waiting for Christmas Day :twisted:
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
sir h c

Re: Sending Funds Internationally (TransferWise vs Paypal vs

Post by sir h c »

I have used MoneyGram at WalMart. $9.90 to send up to $1000 then I think it goes to $40. Not sure the conversion rates though.