DOD 680s are cool
Boss dm2/dm3
Ibanez delay champ/ ad80 /ad9
Chase bliss is mighty fine
Moog
Rygar

Re: Analog Delays...what do you like?

Post by Rygar »

I think I've liked every delay pedal I've ever tried. I use 90's EH Del. Memory Man a lot. Like Horseyboy said the new Ibanez Mini delay sounds really good and is heavy duty for cheap! I like the Carbon Copy a lot but it is too dark for some of my amps, kills with a Marshall. I'd say carbon copy is hard to beat when you need a delay to go into the front of a gained out loud amp.

I have many analog delays around but I use my Boss digital ones more.
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

Boss DM-2 is great :tu:
pepperco

Post by pepperco »

My all time winner is the Boss DM2, far and away. The runner up is the Maxon AD80. I normally leave a slap back fattener on all the time, low blend it with reverb for girth. You don’t even notice it is on until you turn it off. It needs to be able to blend with the dry signal and stay out of way of the dry notes. Hard to describe, but digital does not work for this. Digital delays sound wonky with fuzz anyway. I also have a Maxon AD10, it sounds exactly like the AD80 but with 600 ms delay time. Great for repeated echo effects and it does the freak out oscillation trick beautifully.
so&so

Post by so&so »

I’m a big fan of analog delay. If I were going to add another to the stable today it would be the Fairfield Meet Maude. Ad-9’s and DMM’s rule too.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Deluxe Memory Man is a classic. Great on long delays and just a whiff of modulation. Can be tricky to get the input control just right though. Worth the trouble though and I really honestly like it best with keyboards. Sounds killer on anything though.
1980s Ibanex AD-9 is my favorite for shorter delays. Ive owned the "better" (and certainly spendier AD-80 but I like the Ad-9's sound more
Moogerfooger delay. Nothing beats this. Modulation options out the ying yang. Tap Tempo. Sounds incredible. Supremely flexible and is MIDI controllable as well as control voltage controllable (aka you can hook up expression pedals to it, modular gear, have a MIDI controller save presets for every parameter). They're not cheap and it might be overkill for your needs but I end up using it to create new sounds all the time. It's almost limitless. Simply the best.
EDIT: just re-read your initial post. For something super tape like (if you're used to tape echo) probably the new Catalanbread belle epoch is going to work out great for you. I haven't tried the deluxe version but I thought the regular one sounded killer and definitely has that "tape" vibe. Analog is super dark compared to tape echo.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

The mad prof deep blue was supposed to have a tape quality to it. It was great with my JCM 800 at the time but tape like? I didn’t hear it.
I’m using MXR echoplex. It’s awesome.
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

I'm not much of a delay person, but I had a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay on loan for a while. I have to say I was really underwhelmed, especially considering the price.
Condolences, the bums lost!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah it was good thickening up high gain lead tones but was a bit to dark for me.
It didn’t capture enough detail in the decays.
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

The old EHX Memory Man or the Boss DM-2. Haven't tried that many modern ones, but the Retro-Sonic delay is really good and not as noisy as the Boss DM-1, so way more usable.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys