Attenuator vs using pedal as an attenuator

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

ZaidAli95

Attenuator vs using pedal as an attenuator

Post by ZaidAli95 »

Hey everyone, really wanted to hear your thoughts about using an attenuator vs using my favourite fuzz/OD and setting the volume low.

Last night I took my marshall jmp 50 and Mesa 2x12 to practice for our Friday show. Amp was considerably loud and overpowered the drummer and 2nd guitarist who was using a 4x12 and a jcm2000. Want to keep the bar owner happy and not get kicked out of the band.

Marshall couldn't go above 2 and I used my sola sound professional like an attenuator. Had the attack cranked a fair bit. I wish I could have the amp at least set above 4. I never go higher than 6

Sounded thin and just didn't have that oomph like if I have it set around 4-6
Darth Sabbathi

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Get an attenuator or PPIV master volume mod. Using the pedal you're just giving the amp a really low input - you'll never get a good full sound doing that. I like the PPIV MV, but plenty of people don't...
ZaidAli95

Re:

Post by ZaidAli95 »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Get an attenuator or PPIV master volume mod. Using the pedal you're just giving the amp a really low input - you'll never get a good full sound doing that. I like the PPIV MV, but plenty of people don't...
Which attenuator do you prefer
Darth Sabbathi

Re: Re:

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

ZaidAli95 wrote:
Darth Sabbathi wrote:Get an attenuator or PPIV master volume mod. Using the pedal you're just giving the amp a really low input - you'll never get a good full sound doing that. I like the PPIV MV, but plenty of people don't...
Which attenuator do you prefer
I've tried a Dr Z Air-Brake and a THD Hotplate. Didn't particularly care for either of them, but the Hotplate was better imo. If you've got some money to spend, the Tone King Ironman is apparently the shizz.