Ant, was the MK I.V an "official" prototype... for Arbiter ?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Laundromat

Re: Ant, was the MK I.V an "official" prototype... for Arbiter ?

Post by Laundromat »

Philip wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:45 pmIt's obvious they just took a Vox Distortion Booster or a MKI.5 and stuck a face on it.
Or the other way around.
Condolences, the bums lost!
Philip

Post by Philip »

Meaning Sola took a FF? The Vox and Sola quite clearly pre date the FF, no?
Philip

Post by Philip »

jreeves47 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:20 pm So many timetravellers have become interested in this that they needed to invent LSD in order to cover their tracks

:shocked: :cyclops:
get_with_it
Sola Sound London

Post by get_with_it »

Hello

Well - the way I understood it is we made a bunch of pedals for loads of different companies with various circuits in them with a view to making pedals for them .

But don't read anything sinister into what I said - I was just trying to say the 1.5 circuit became the fuzz face - Personally , I think it was via the Fuzz Bug we made for Dallas who were obviously very closely linked to Arbiter . In short I was just trying to say we've made some cool fuzz pedals and that's why We've written a book .

So - feel free to call it iffy sales talk - i really wasn't trying to say anything of great magnitude or saying anyone copied or ripped ff anyone else - I was just being interviewed whilst being a bit ill in a really noisy place - it was horrible !!!

AND I LOOK REALLY FAT !¬!!!!

Ant
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Philip wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:07 pm Meaning Sola took a FF? The Vox and Sola quite clearly pre date the FF, no?
Yeah. The MK1.5 must have been introduced early in 1966, maybe even earlier. The earliest Fuzz Faces seem to date to fall of 1966. Some early british Vox Distortion Boosters were FZ-1 based, btw. We have no idea when Vox started selling the shunt-series feedback amplifier types.

The Fuzz Face was clearly based on a MK1.5 and not a Distortion Booster or italian Vox Tone Bender.
get_with_it wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:01 pm Hello

Well - the way I understood it is we made a bunch of pedals for loads of different companies with various circuits in them with a view to making pedals for them .

But don't read anything sinister into what I said - I was just trying to say the 1.5 circuit became the fuzz face - Personally , I think it was via the Fuzz Bug we made for Dallas who were obviously very closely linked to Arbiter . In short I was just trying to say we've made some cool fuzz pedals and that's why We've written a book .

So - feel free to call it iffy sales talk - i really wasn't trying to say anything of great magnitude or saying anyone copied or ripped ff anyone else - I was just being interviewed whilst being a bit ill in a really noisy place - it was horrible !!!

AND I LOOK REALLY FAT !¬!!!!

Ant
That would have been made for Dallas, no? Were they already involved with Arbiter at that point?
Everything is transitional.
Philip

Post by Philip »

Electric Warrior wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:12 pm Some early british Vox Distortion Boosters were FZ-1 based, btw. We have no idea when Vox started selling the shunt-series feedback amplifier types.
:tu:
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

According to this site Dallas aquired Arbiter Electronics in 1965. It all makes sense.
http://soundcitysite.com/history_2.htm
Everything is transitional.
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

So circuit wise, what’s the difference between a MK1.5, Fuzz Face and the Italian Vox tonebender, and what makes them all sound so different? :hmm:
Philip

Post by Philip »

So what Ant said is essentially right. :badteeth:
rafmax

Post by rafmax »

Thanks Ant :cheers:
get_with_it wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:01 pm Hello

Ant