EQ pedals

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

stella_blues

EQ pedals

Post by stella_blues »

Anyone have any experience of using an eq pedal with fuzz? I'm thinking of adding one to maybe tame the low end of a FF or add mids to a muff, also thinking it may be useful when switching from a humbucker guitar to single coils without playing about with the amp controls.

Any thoughts appreciated :coffee:
Philip

Re: EQ pedals

Post by Philip »

I had an old big box Boss EQ thing that was great. Can work wonders allowing you to hone in on frequencies you want to change and take our beloved foozers beyond their stand alone selves. Can also boost the input etc.

One quibble I had was that with EQ engaged, even with as close to same sound set it seemed to rob the fuzzes of a little bit of their distinctive character. Not much, but maybe just me being overly picky.
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

Cheers Philip :tu:

Sounds like one could be useful.....maybe the slight change in tone is due to having a buffered pedal after the fuzz?
Philip

Post by Philip »

Could be, not clued up on that buffer business, I think I used it going in to the fuzz. :smashed:

It was the GE-10 I had.
ombudsman

Post by ombudsman »

I have an Earthquaker Tone Job which is pretty useful. Used to have an Empress Para EQ which had more bands, on a board that was stolen. I should get another one of those. It is nice having the option to dial out a narrow band when gigging with hollowbody guitars. And it's clean enough to use in an acoustic rig too.

A good EQ is a very handy thing as you can compensate for different pickups or use it as a clean boost as well as solve all kinds of sonic problems. Cheap crappy graphic EQs muddied the water about them but there are a lot of choices now.
ombudsman

Post by ombudsman »

I should add that, strangely, I never use EQ to cut lows from fuzz, I just keep buying fuzzes trying to find ones with less low end. I am not good at turning off two pedals at once, and I can't gig with my favorites (currently, a gold 1.5 Sola/DAM) because of temperature sensitivity. Maybe I need to get into using loops to combine pedals.
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

This is what I had in mind, putting the fuzz and eq into a true bypass looper to save the tap dancing.

The Goldie shouldn’t be too bad with hotter temps as the Cap has done his dirty hippie mod to make them more stable.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Boss graphic eq is a classic. Gilmour and John Scofield both use them. Dan Auerbach uses one with his superfuzz I believe. There's also the newer source audio programmable eq pedal that I'd imagine would be worth looking into. Gilmour uses those now apparently.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

I use a Stone Deaf PDF-1 to do exactly what you're after, stella. It's based on the old Maestro MPF-1. Great for sculpting fuzz tones and will do a whole lot more besides. I think there's a PDF-2 now that's essentially the same thing.
resynthesis

Post by resynthesis »

Take care with the Boss GE7 they can be a bit noisy. I believe the newer ones are better but there are lots of modded versions around which improve the noise and, in some cases, widen the input frequency range.

+1 on a parametric EQ. I had a TC dual parametric years ago which was ace but unfortunately went walkies. The newer TC and Carl Martin EQs are now only semi-parametric which is a bit of a pest.