What’s your pick?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Steve
The Artist Formerly Known As KT66

Re: What’s your pick?

Post by Steve »

fendersilver wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 pm :cool2:

Not that picky about picks. Tend to mix them up a bit with whichever guitar I’m playing at the time, acoustic or electric.
Usually, I tend to gravitate towards the med/heavy pick. One pick that I have come across I really like is the COOL pick.
It’s a medium, and has a grip to it, which I like. It’s got a little bit of a pointiertip than the regular traditional pick has.
I like to play with the back end of the pick actually. It rolls off the string in a totally different way then when you use the point
for obvious reasons. And it really gives you kind of a warmer sound. That’s not to say I don’t use them in the traditional way.

Have you played Love Gun with that Paul Stanley pick?

Post by fendersilver »

Steve wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:47 pm
fendersilver wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 pm :cool2:

Have you played Love Gun with that Paul Stanley pick?

Ha! Paul is one of my favorite guitar heroes. Long time member of the Kiss Army. :corpse:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dNkAyzf2P7A#dialog
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

rootfifthoctave wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:30 pm
1bottlerocket wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:51 amOne day I was in Hoochies playing and Yoshi told me about a guy in Japan who makes picks (apparently for Eric Clapton) and has a Clapton model. I bit and bought a couple and they are all I have used since.
It's not likely that I will splurge on fancy plectrums, but I am curious to know more about this
I had to look around to find the website but here it is:
https://k-kfactory.net/index.php?FrontPage

It is in Japanese but Google translate does a good job of translating it to whatever language you need.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

Thanks man!
mondo500

Post by mondo500 »

Some great Google-translates on that site ("We are ready to criticise you!")... one thing I can't work out is whether or not he ships internationally. I'm guessing not, owing to the material the picks are made from – even if it's from pre-70s stock, I think it can't be traded across borders. I have a Red Bear pick or two I really like, but would be nice to compare to the real thing..
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

A lot of Japanese companies don't ship internationally due to the language. Another reason is payment. In Japan, it is typical to ship a product along with the bill. Once you get your package you can go to any convenience store (think 7/11 or Lawsons) and pay the bill. It is a really easy way for companies to sell and consumers to pay.

Tortoise shell is part of the traditional Japanese costume so they didn't sign on a ban of its use in the 80's and they simply stockpiled a lot of it. From what I understand it is now illegal to kill the hawkbill turtles for their shell but whatever stock was left pre-ban is still fair game. It could be the guy ran out and never updated his website.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Francus1971

Post by Francus1971 »

I use dunlop jazz iii since many years, some weeks ago i bought a couple of picks from devilpicks (italian hand made) that does picks in many material and forms... not bad, really not bad :marx:
arem

Post by arem »

I've been using Gravity Picks for many years now, the 3mm Striker XL model specifically. I'm a rhythm only player and love the feel (or lack thereof) with these. The only bummer is that (as erer mentioned) a pick this thick doesn't produce decent sounding pick slides. They're more like pick wipes becuase the pick is too big to get in the string windings. I did some recording recently and actually had to overdub some pick slides with a thin pick to get the sound I wanted
Average fucks given per hour = 0
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

3MM! Wow, That's thick!
underorbit

Post by underorbit »

Here’s my favorites. I have some vintage Hercos in my collection which I really dig, but are too light to constantly use. I’ve broken one triangle Gold and the teardrop remnants are pictured.

The blue ones are called Boogablues, which is such a cool name

If anyone has some vintage flex 50’s, I’d like to try one. Some guy on TGP said he had some and I messaged with him for a few months before he finally told me he lost them.