What’s your pick?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

tigerdriver

Re: What’s your pick?

Post by tigerdriver »

Usually a blue 1.0 Tortex, after leaving it in my pants pocket for a few days to make it smooth.
2mm Adamas when I want to pretend I’m a better player.
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

ombudsman wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:44 pm
It is a tradeoff but not a painful one. These don't have the same problems as normal big picks where there is a resonant midrange thunk on every attack and about one out of every ten attacks seems to be fluffed and not like the others no matter what I do to avoid it. And being thicker I have an easier time holding on to these when I do combination picking. I don't feel like I have to use energy pinching them.
Kind of why I’m back to my tried and true Tortex. Stronger, more defined attack than nylon and more clarity and note separation with chords and double stops. All around easier to play fast runs as well. Feel like I’m having to learn how to play all over with the nylons.
Pick boys sound interesting.
erer

Post by erer »

Been playing .88 Green tortex for years and years. Went down the rabbit hole twice to find something different. First time it was all those big clear picks and one of those stupidly expensive blue chip picks... kinda cool for what i was playing at the time. But just ended up going back to the greenies cause i missed the feel and attack of tortex. Also, I didnt like worrying about my guitar pick. basically just loosing it and doing absent minded, notch creating pick slides.

Now, i pick slide like crazy and wanted something that lasted longer than one band practice. I tried some of the other dunlop picks (ultex, primetone, pitch black, ect). They felt nice and held up a little better than normal tortex, but the pick slides didn't sound as good. Back to the greenies, yet again.

I came to the conclusion if I want insane, killer sounding pick slides, I need to be tearing the pick apart. And I need to expect that they wont last very long at all.
fendersilver

Post by fendersilver »

:cool2:

Not that picky about picks. Tend to mix them up a bit with whichever guitar I’m playing at the time, acoustic or electric.
Usually, I tend to gravitate towards the med/heavy pick. One pick that I have come across I really like is the COOL pick.
It’s a medium, and has a grip to it, which I like. It’s got a little bit of a pointiertip than the regular traditional pick has.
I like to play with the back end of the pick actually. It rolls off the string in a totally different way then when you use the point
for obvious reasons. And it really gives you kind of a warmer sound. That’s not to say I don’t use them in the traditional way.

D3D9C5DC-00A1-4369-9434-19D29A4C4170.jpeg
D3D9C5DC-00A1-4369-9434-19D29A4C4170.jpeg (132.41 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Last edited by fendersilver on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Dunlop Jazz 3 is my easy to get fix, but I have a bunch of 3mm Gravity picks the same size that I love.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Guitar: Herco 50
Bass: Yellow Tortex (usually the black version of the yellow thickness, because apparently I like losing picks on dark stages)
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I used to use to use Dunlop Tortex before moving to Japan, then I read somewhere about Red Bear picks and reluctantly bought one pre worn and I liked it. I took it to Japan with me and used it there. One day I was in Hoochies playing and Yoshi told me about a guy in Japan who makes picks (apparently for Eric Clapton) and has a Clapton model. I bit and bought a couple and they are all I have used since.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

I have these custom made... Italian nitro cellulose (celluloid) they're easily the best picks out there - i've tried all the tempered plastic, blue chip stuff and they're nice but they're not as good as these... :)
Last edited by Coolhand78 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

1bottlerocket wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:51 amOne day I was in Hoochies playing and Yoshi told me about a guy in Japan who makes picks (apparently for Eric Clapton) and has a Clapton model. I bit and bought a couple and they are all I have used since.
It's not likely that I will splurge on fancy plectrums, but I am curious to know more about this
Steve
The Artist Formerly Known As KT66

Post by Steve »

Some black Dunlop ones. Can't recall the thickness.