What’s your pick?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Sauniere

What’s your pick?

Post by Sauniere »

After years and years of using the little green Dunlop Tortex picks, I recently went down the pick rabbit hole. the reissue Hercos piqued my interest. Bought a fuck ton of nylon picks to see what nylon was all about. Snarling Dog Brains, Herco Holy Grails, Dunlop Standard, Dunlop Max Grip and most recently Planet Waves Nyflex. Really digging the Planet Waves Nyflex 1mm. Don’t care for the Herco Holy Grails, which everyone seems to be raving about. Thank god picks aren’t expensive...left with quite a little bag of dicks...I mean picks. What are you guys using?
freddy_von

Re: What’s your pick?

Post by freddy_von »

Purple gator grip. Always used them. Have tried others, but nothing else feels ‘right’ having used them for so long.
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

Yeah, I was wary of trying something new. The little Tortex always felt so comfortable and right. Surprised I took to the Nyflex so quickly.
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

1mm tortex is where I'm most comfortable but I like ultex too. Also, I hold them weirdly, the point is pointed towards the inside of my palm and I hit the strings with one of the round corners. I just found really early on (when I was 11/12, just started learning) that it softened the attack and I liked the sound, now I can barely cope with holding it the "proper" way!

I've tried gator grips a few times but they always feel slightly wrong (they come in .96mm and 1.14mm and not my usual 1mm) but also they seem to disintegrate INCREDIBLY quickly and leave a lot of dust on the guitar. I don't find them much grippier than the standard tortex either.
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Pyramid celluloids, Clayton Ultem and sometimes Sharkfins for me. I like to have a variety of different materials and gauges at hand to shape my tone, especially when playing acoustic.
Everything is transitional.
waves

Post by waves »

I have been fascinated with picks for a long time.

After switching a lot, I played Ultex Jazz III the past few years. Then I opened up a rabit hole a few months ago and am now most happy with v-picks and red bear. I recently got 8 red bears and lost one. Not happy about losing a $35 pick, but even worse is having to wait until they offer same gauge again. Thinking now about sticking with v-pick. Traditional, Screamer, Venom are the 3 I'm rotating.

Acoustic, I like Blue Chip ... have played Wegen, Red Bear and a bunch of others.
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

Electric Warrior wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:58 pm Pyramid celluloids, Clayton Ultem and sometimes Sharkfins for me. I like to have a variety of different materials and gauges at hand to shape my tone, especially when playing acoustic.
Hope to try some Pyramids soon. Love their strings, especially the Monel steel.
Lach

Post by Lach »

Have been using Dunlop .60mm nylon for about the last 10 years... I did like thicker before someone handed me one
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

rootfifthoctave wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:48 pm 1mm tortex is where I'm most comfortable but I like ultex too. Also, I hold them weirdly, the point is pointed towards the inside of my palm and I hit the strings with one of the round corners. I just found really early on (when I was 11/12, just started learning) that it softened the attack and I liked the sound, now I can barely cope with holding it the "proper" way!

I've tried gator grips a few times but they always feel slightly wrong (they come in .96mm and 1.14mm and not my usual 1mm) but also they seem to disintegrate INCREDIBLY quickly and leave a lot of dust on the guitar. I don't find them much grippier than the standard tortex either.
Ha! I hold my picks the same way. I like the feel and the soudn of playing the pick sideways, more control and smoother sound. Although I do hold the pick normally when playing bass VI. Ive been using the super thick dunlop jazztones 2mm picks for years now. Closest thing to your thumb as you can get. They take a little getting used to and probably aren't the best for just strumming but I just love the unyielding quality of a thick pick. I do have a few real turtle shell picks as well that a friend got me from china. They're cool but I rarely use them.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

I like Gibson (Heavey gauge) pick's because nice bright sound
only problem is this material wore very fast