Batteries in pedals

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

welshchris

Re: Batteries in pedals

Post by welshchris »

I pull them out when not in use.

I also put a bit of insulating tape over the 9v socket pins inside the pedal if I’m running the pedal on a gig board with PSU. Just always been a bit nervous of them moving in transit and then shorting out on metal case before or during a gig. Overkill I’m sure but once it got into my head..
... No I can't turn down
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

welshchris wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:10 pm I pull them out when not in use.

I also put a bit of insulating tape over the 9v socket pins inside the pedal if I’m running the pedal on a gig board with PSU. Just always been a bit nervous of them moving in transit and then shorting out on metal case before or during a gig. Overkill I’m sure but once it got into my head..
A standard 9V jack used for external power on a pedal isolates the +9V connection on a battery snap when a plug inserted. For the same reason that its impossible to drain your battery when using external power, its impossible to short to the case via the battery snap.
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

I have my butler remove them and label them. They are stored in one of the guest bedrooms until needed, with the overflow being donated to a local charity.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

jreeves47 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:42 pm I have my butler remove them and label them. They are stored in one of the guest bedrooms until needed, with the overflow being donated to a local charity.
I do the same, good sir. Except I never donate anything to charity.
Butlers gonna buttle.
Bert Ohlsson

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

From a couple of years back
Attachments
batteri.png
batteri.png (252.74 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
DAMbattery.jpg
DAMbattery.jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
welshchris

Post by welshchris »

That’s great to know :) had thought they were maybe just a parallel connection and didn’t want to risk anything.

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:14 pm
welshchris wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:10 pm I pull them out when not in use.

A standard 9V jack used for external power on a pedal isolates the +9V connection on a battery snap when a plug inserted. For the same reason that its impossible to drain your battery when using external power, its impossible to short to the case via the battery snap.
... No I can't turn down
mondo500

Post by mondo500 »

I had one leak in my Telenordia TA–24... was quite displeased. Fortunately only the battery snap was affected, but even the snaps are beautifully done on those pedals...
PSQRCL

Post by PSQRCL »

Definitely in the take the batteries out camp for me.

Had a D*A*M Sonic Titan in Starlight with battery leakage within. The Captain replaced it on the house though!
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

I've started going through my pedals and removing the batteries just in case. :tu:
mam8dg

Post by mam8dg »

Yikes, I didn't know AAs were more prone to leakage. Need to check my Model AA today and remove the battery.

I normally don't take batteries out, though I should. I've seen some minor leakage, but nothing bad enough to necessitate replacing a battery snap.
migsmoon.bandcamp.com