Metropoulos amps

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Steve
The Artist Formerly Known As KT66

Metropoulos amps

Post by Steve »

Does anyone have any experience with them or own one?

Thoughts?
squarewave

Re: Metropoulos amps

Post by squarewave »

Supposed to be the shit
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
Steve

Post by Steve »

:cheers:
dokazaado

Post by dokazaado »

I have a Metropoulus Superplex - I've only had it since March, but I'm incredibly pleased with it. Both modes sound great, effects loop is very good, and it's the only master volume amp I've ever really gotten along with.
I have a few other big iron amps, but none have had any play since this amp made it's way into my life.

Side note - borrowed a bandmate's EGC and played it through the Superplex last night, and fucking hell I need one of those guits. Was just MASSIVE.
Steve

Post by Steve »

dokazaado wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:54 pm I have a Metropoulus Superplex - I've only had it since March, but I'm incredibly pleased with it. Both modes sound great, effects loop is very good, and it's the only master volume amp I've ever really gotten along with.
I have a few other big iron amps, but none have had any play since this amp made it's way into my life.

Side note - borrowed a bandmate's EGC and played it through the Superplex last night, and fucking hell I need one of those guits. Was just MASSIVE.
Very nice mate. I contacted George not long ago and they've discontinued the 100 watt super and Metro plexes. They're still doing the DVL-1 though. They're going to announce 50 watt head soon. I'm thinking of getting the DVL though, I like the MOD mode on that. From what I've been reading it seems these have the best MV going around.

Funny you mention EGC, I went on their site to price a build recently but they're not taking any orders right now. I really want one at some point.
dokazaado

Post by dokazaado »

I didn’t know the Metroplex and Superplex were being discontinued! I will need to look for a Metroplex on the used market and soon then - playing this has made me really want one. I guess the market for 100 watt heads is not particularly robust these days, and folks don’t want to pay for more than they’ll Use, but even fairly far down the MV I like the 100 watt mode - the feel is just so different and pleasing.

And yeah, the MV on these is kind of amazingly good - I’ve always hated MV amps - if I have to fuck with the eq every time I touch the MV, that’s useless to me at a gig. Absolutely no need with this thing unless you’re making BIG swings. I appreciate that George tried a PPIMV and said “nope, not good enough.”

And I A-B ed the EGC against my favorite Gibson last night and the Gibson won handily for what I do. Ha, I think I just had the rush of something new, but that EGC - it sounded amazing clean, but I tend to like amps on the bassier side - JTMs, Marshall Pig-esque things - and with the amp wound up, the pickups in the EGC were just way too hot and bassy - and it’s not like those pickups are easily swappable.

Anyway, yes, Metropoulus! Highly recommended!
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I like big iron amps, even for low volume playing. For me, they have a lot of girth. I have always been a big fan of Greg Germino's amps. I have a Fillmore head that I really like a lot.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty

Post by dokazaado »

I’ve been eyeballing Germino stuff for a long time - I’ll bring one home eventually. Maybe one of the Lead 35s. 👍🏻