any jaguar players/owners out there?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

FOXFIRE

any jaguar players/owners out there?

Post by FOXFIRE »

i'm hopefully picking up a '98 mij jaguar tomorrow and my only worry is how the shorter scale/neck will feel?
friendlybunny

Post by friendlybunny »

Yeah... my main guitar is a 63 Jaguar. The neck is a shorter scale, but it has never bothered me. But I don't really care about such things. I have large hands and I've never been bothered by short scale guitars.
FOXFIRE

Re: any jaguar players/owners out there?

Post by FOXFIRE »

that was just what i wanted to here. i'm a big boy with big dumb fingers. i've been playing strats as of late but i used to play gibsons without any issues...pre purchase jitters i guess.
duende

Post by duende »

The short scale is not a problem. Many of the older (especially in the late '60s) came with very narrow "A" necks which were in fashion at the time. Those can be very hard to play for us ham fisted wonders.

I have a '68 and it sounds glorious, but is a bitch to play.
TheWarmth

Post by TheWarmth »

The MIJ Fenders are great. You might want to upgrade the pickups and/or electronics, but they're still a great buy. I have a MIJ Tele and Jazzmaster.
Garfunk M. Rafferty

Post by Garfunk M. Rafferty »

I've been hankering for a Jazzmaster/Jaguar for quite a while, I'm thinking of going the part built Sims custom route, too picky for "off the shelf" I guess.
Nicorette for your chakras.
professor plum

Post by professor plum »

jags are rad. i have a jazzmaster myself but teh short scale on the jag isnt really a big deal.
analog love <3/
FOXFIRE

Post by FOXFIRE »

i picked it up today and it's pretty fucking cool. i restrung it with 13's and there is a little buzz at the bridge but not enough to worry about for a while and you are all right the scale isn't a big deal. i can feel the difference but that's probably cause i know about it.

the pickups seem to love feeding back and not in a good way. i think i read that they aren't potted so i could always start there to stay on the cheap. the tone pot in the rhythm is really scratchy so i'll have to attend to that at some point. all in all it is in great shape and looks really good but it didn't wow me when i put a dirt box between it and my amp. i dig the look and feel of it more than enough to work on it a bit and get it sounding good.
professor plum

Post by professor plum »

congrats on the guitar man! im glad your diggin it. smart move on the heavier strings! a jag with really heavy flatwounds through a good clean amp can sound like a fucking grand paino <3

the cij/mij offsets are really well built but come with shitty electronics... talk to curtis novak. hes an offset pickup guru that will sort you out with amazing pickups just how you want them. upgrade the pots and loctite the bridge and your golden.

p.s. it is worth mentioning the mastery bridge. i never "needed" it for my jm with a good set up but man does it make the whole thing just feel more solid. i lil' pricy for a bridge but worth every penny in my offset-loving opinion.

p.p.s. what color!?! :badteeth:
analog love <3/
FOXFIRE

Post by FOXFIRE »

i know it's a crap pic but it's this color...the neck has some really nice flame/figure.