any jaguar players/owners out there?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

redeyeflight

Re: any jaguar players/owners out there?

Post by redeyeflight »

I'll put in my vote against the staytrem. Although I've only tried the bass VI staytrem. It was super rattly and basically impossible to set up correctly. Didn't work at all (and I tried 2 different units). Mastery has been nothing. But totally awesome on the bass VI and my two jazzmasters.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ That surprises me, Dan. Mine's been perfect from day one.
I've got a Mastery on my Harvester and it's great on that guitar but it's such a pain in the arse to set up properly it occasionally drives me insane. Intonation isn't that big a deal but it's almost impossible to stop the sideways movement in the saddles and it still needs Loctite to prevent the threads from slipping. I think it's because I was a Gibson guy for so long and only ever used Tune-O-Matics so I just like things to be simple.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Stay-trem > Mastery always

My two cents: about the only thing that Mastery did right is solve the floating trem issue, which is easily done with $3 worth of bushings. Otherwise they charge a lot for a poorly designed saddle system. Stay-trem or a Mustang bridge does the trick, imo.
burgersalad14

Post by burgersalad14 »

innerflight wrote:^ I literally just picked up my first Jag yesterday ( a MIJ 2007-2010 ) so I have not had loads of time with it but I just went and tried those various fuzzes out to see, with my Pigdog Fuzzface their was no issue, sounds great and a nice clean up on both pups, fucking glorious in fact (sorry, not what you want to hear)

MKII's same thing, sounds great, nice clean up.

I know what you mean with MKI's though, that wasn't the best, a bit ice picky and very gated/strangled when cleaned up, part of me thinks that is the nature of the beast though and I've always preferred using MKI's with humbuckers, I don't have a great track record with MKI's tbh :badteeth:

the problem I've got is this guitar arrived to me really badly set up, makes me wonder how the previous person actually played it or how the shop that sold it to me could send it out like that, the joys of buying without trying I suppose but then finding a Left handed Jag in this country never mind local was nigh on impossible, first thing I done was put 11's on it, next thing is i'm definitely buying a mastery bridge for it

I have heard enough to know that it will be a great guitar once it is set up properly :party:
Most of, if not all of the lefty Jags/JMs i've seen out of Japan aren't set up at all and have minimal fret ware. Its almost like they were brought, played a little bit, then put away and perhaps substituted for a guitar with an easier bridge to set up (Pre Mastery/Staytrem days). I have a LH Jag exactly like yours with a Mastery bridge/Staytrem arm/upgraded electronics. I have a JM i'm about to put a Staytrem bridge on as i'm keen to try. The Mastery has been set and forget. You might as well put new PU's in whilst you are at it, the tone will improve 1000 x :crackjam:
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

^ yes thats the impression I got too, bought and shoved under a bed, hardly any wear on the frets, good for me though :party:

No plans to change electrics just now, sounds pretty decent to me but out of interest what PU's did you put in yours?
’brutish in character but not thug like’
burgersalad14

Post by burgersalad14 »

innerflight wrote:^ yes thats the impression I got too, bought and shoved under a bed, hardly any wear on the frets, good for me though :party:

No plans to change electrics just now, sounds pretty decent to me but out of interest what PU's did you put in yours?
I'm in Australia, so Brierley's are always amazing quality and value for money:

http://www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au/special.htm

I would strongly suggest you upgrade the electronics, its night and day difference once you do! :tu: :marx: :crackjam:
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

OK Staytrem fitted, £65 and next day delivery = massive improvement, works like a charm, im converted, although the Mastery on my other guitar fucking rocks too :crackjam:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
daCod

Post by daCod »

i have a johnny marr jag bridge on my jag and a mastery on my jazzmaster ONLY because it came on a project guitar i bought a while back. the mastery is damn cool. the JMJ is fender's staytrem/mustang invention thing.
told myself i would never drop the $$$ on a mastery as they are COSTLY. was going for a staytrem but the JMJ popped up on ebay for cheap. good enough for me. both cool bridges that do things a wee better than the stock.

the mastery on the jazzmaster is superb for behind the bridge playing and adding sustain. contemplating swapping the two around next restring to see how much difference it makes on the jag.

somewhere i read - offset guitar forum probably - there was a hiccup in the wiring of the jaguar lower controls. like a wire was in the wrong position straight from the factory which means rolling off the tone cuts volume big time.
my 65 AVRI seems to have this issue but i've not looked into it further. anybody else have this going on with theirs? also contemplating pickup swap from the stock 65's it came with. oh the offset modification downward spiral of money bleeding misery.....
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
bazguitar

Post by bazguitar »

A WIZZO "Buzzstop" roller is a Good addition to a Jaguar behind the bridge
as it adds more tension to the strings
which helps on the shorter scale length :tu:
not every bodies cup of tea
but worth trying
easy to fit and cheap
al parts sell them for £29
Birds in Hell

Post by Birds in Hell »

innerflight wrote:OK Staytrem fitted, £65 and next day delivery = massive improvement, works like a charm, im converted, although the Mastery on my other guitar fucking rocks too :crackjam:
Excellent!