The "what are you reading?" thread.

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

resynthesis

Re: The "what are you reading?" thread.

Post by resynthesis »

Recently finished 10th December Stories by George Saunders

It was one of those random Kindle buys as I'd, very sadly, never heard of him. Pretty unsettling but one of the very few authors who's made me laugh out loud. Coincidentally, the day after I finished it I saw him on the news for winning the Booker Prize. Recommended.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Just finished this "Autobiographical Riff" from Mike Nesmith:

Started strong, and I liked reading about his early years and the creation of The Monkees - meeting the Beatles, Hendrix and hanging out with Jack Nicholson and the "Head" crowd. But my tolerance for religion is not high and once he hit middle age and turned to Christian Science he lost me. He spends most of the second half of the book fixated on the money his mother (you know, the one who invented Liquid Paper) left him when she died, a long-running legal battle with PBS (which obviously meant a lot to him but is boring as batshit for everybody else) and the much younger woman he married who eventually left him for some dude she met on the internet.
I guess young lives are just way more interesting than old lives.
tango whiskyman

Post by tango whiskyman »

HorseyBoy, my amp guy just gave me that Mike Nesmith book! Thanks for the review! like him and the Monkees just fine but I figured I'd never read it. Maybe I'll give it a go and quit as soon as it gets boring.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

tango whiskyman wrote:HorseyBoy, my amp guy just gave me that Mike Nesmith book! Thanks for the review! like him and the Monkees just fine but I figured I'd never read it. Maybe I'll give it a go and quit as soon as it gets boring.
Good plan!
I'm a really big fan of the country rock records Nez did with the First National Band. The record he did later with just Red Rhodes, "And the Hits Just Keep on Comin'", is fucking ace, too. So I was most interested in that period and wanted a bit more info on Red, who made everything he ever played on sound great. But there are some good stories about the Palomino Riders, the house band of the Palomino Club that was based around Red Rhodes, Leon Russell, Delany Bramlett and others. Blows my mind thinking of a band with Leon Russell and Red Rhodes in it.
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

I liked that Nesmith book, until there weren't that many pages left and started wondering how he was going to fit all the stuff with the Monkees reunion etc in...and the answer was it's not even discussed. Kind of like the Chrissie Hynde book that goes on forever and just ends with the first Pretenders record. Leave them wanting more, I guess?
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

tigerdriver wrote:I liked that Nesmith book, until there weren't that many pages left and started wondering how he was going to fit all the stuff with the Monkees reunion etc in...and the answer was it's not even discussed. Kind of like the Chrissie Hynde book that goes on forever and just ends with the first Pretenders record. Leave them wanting more, I guess?
Not a book, but the Twisted Sister doc does this and its kind of awesome.
erer

Post by erer »

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson (home town hero!). its book 2 of the Mistborn Trilogy Era 1. dark fantasy stuff.
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

^ Speaking of Sanderson, I recently finished A wheel of time, he did a fantastic job of filling in for Robert Jordan. I cant imagine that would be easy

Also just finished the Thrawn trilogy (which is no longer cannon but ive been meaning to read it for ages)

Now onto the Witcher series. Loving it so far

"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Complete works of HP Lovecraft. This will take a while.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
Steve
The Artist Formerly Known As KT66

Post by Steve »