Airline 62-9013A (Silvertone 1482) amp demos

Visual and Audio delights of D*A*M and other such noise makers.

Moderator: The Captain

HorseyBoy

Airline 62-9013A (Silvertone 1482) amp demos

Post by HorseyBoy »

Cleaned up the Airline amp this morning (the tubes had a nice layer of gunk on them so I pulled them and cleaned them off) and got some time to play with it. Two 12AX7s in the preamp, 6V6s for the output. Rectifier is a 6X4. Tremolo is done with a 6AU6 and is really, really lovely. The speaker is a Fisher, which a lot of people find too dark but I really like, especially with my hybrid aluminium Harvester, which is generally a bright guitar. It's just a really nice amp, nice dynamics, lovely bottom end, good sag. I was having so much fun I started recording stuff straight into an iPad.
Two quick demos of the clean sound. The first shows off the tremolo. Pretty much just strumming away and fiddling with the trem controls (intensity and speed) before settling into a pattern. That's my wife coming in at the end and spoiling a perfectly fine demo by telling me she has an urgent need for parmesan cheese. But you can hear how rich the trem sounds and get a good idea of the range as well.

Second demo is just the guitar and the amp (without the trem). Starts with both pickups then switches to the bridge pickup (just before the riff starts), then switches to the neck pickup (around 1.30 in). You'll hear the changes. The bridge has some decent garage rock jangle and the neck has a little more warmth.

I didn't get a chance to push the amp or jump the channels, so I'll try to do that and add any clips I make. Haven't run any pedals through it either. That's definitely going to happen. :crackjam:
But so far I'm thrilled. A lot of amp for little money.
Doc Holliday

Re: Airline 62-9013A (Silvertone 1482) amp demos

Post by Doc Holliday »

Awesome bro. I changed the pre amp tubes around in my 1481 and put a Weber sig in and made it a lot more playable for me. Because these amps have little re-sale you can do what you want without losing much money. Great amps!
chankgeez

Post by chankgeez »

Sounds sweet!

I don't believe your wife spoilt that demo though. It was perfect. :cheers:
"Kiev is a hell of a town." - Larry King
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Thanks, guys.
Yeah, you don't buy these as investments, Doc, but I kinda love that about them. And even though they were always cheap amps, the construction is really solid - hand wired, good components. Even the cabinets do the job well. All up, I'd say it's as least as well built as my silverface VibroChamp.
And yeah, my wife didn't spoil anything. I just thought it was funny. She was in another room and had no idea I was recording anything and instead of being awe struck by my superlative playing and the incredible sounds floating through the house she was just waiting for me to stop so she could talk about cheese. :hihi:
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Another quick iPad recording of the Airline 62-9013A, this time running a patch cable to jump the channels for a thicker sound. The amp is pushed a little harder here, too, but it's still just the guitar straight into the amp, just starting to break up, plenty more volume to go.

Ran some pedals through it, too, and it handled everything wonderfully. Loves the fuzz. Mk I sounded particularly tasty.
chankgeez

Post by chankgeez »

:slayer2:
HorseyBoy wrote:
Ran some pedals through it, too, and it handled everything wonderfully. Loves the fuzz. Mk I sounded particularly tasty.
:coffee:
"Kiev is a hell of a town." - Larry King
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

Sounds really nice!
:listening:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Where on the dial does it start to breakup Horsey? Is it around 15 watts?
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Yep, it's around 15 watts and plenty loud. It starts breaking up around 11 o'clock on the dial, maybe slightly below that. Jumping the channels will make it break up a little earlier.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Awesome. Definitely on my want list further down the road.