Cool photo from back in the day. MK1?

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

fernieite

Cool photo from back in the day. MK1?

Post by fernieite »

Just stumbled on an old photo of a British guitarist (Frank Martinez) from the band Grit. Looks like a MK1, doesn't it?
https://grit70s.com/
https://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2020 ... rview.html

Grit-9.jpg
Grit-9.jpg (261.05 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
fernieite

Re: Cool photo from back in the day. MK1?

Post by fernieite »

Frank's Tone Bender, Crybaby, volume pedal and Copycat were stolen in 1973. (Possibly by the Sex Pistols!)
https://themusiclocker.co.uk/the-sex-pi ... esurfaces/
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
daCod

Post by daCod »

MKI.5 or MKII. Note the angled jacks :tu:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

The order of the jack sockets suggests that it's an Italian-built Vox (v828) Tone Bender, rather than the British model. Knobs also look a little more bulbous...
Great pic though!
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Excellent sleuthing gents! :tu:
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Wouldn't it be cool if this was actually one of the illusive Kelly fuzz boxes? Frank used Kelly amps. There's a photo or two in the links I provided.

Has anyone seen a photo of the Kelly pedal?
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

fernieite wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:20 pm Wouldn't it be cool if this was actually one of the illusive Kelly fuzz boxes? Frank used Kelly amps. There's a photo or two in the links I provided.

Has anyone seen a photo of the Kelly pedal?
It would be amazing to see a photo of a Kelly fuzz box!

The only reference to the existence of that model I was able to find was on one of the small ads that Kelly posted in Melody Maker, in 1966. The son of the original Kelly guy (who was also involved with the amps etc back in the 60s) is still alive, and I tracked down his nephew and got him to forward some questions over. Unfortunately he didn't remember anything about the fuzz boxes, but he did recall an agreement between his dad & Macari's, during this early period of Kelly Amplification's existence, where Macari's would supply them with empty amplifier housings, and Kelly would make up the electronics inside. Kelly (Jr) supposed that there might have been a similar arrangement with Macari's with regards to the fuzz boxes, but it was all just speculative.
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Actually, the amp head on the floor in the photo that I first posted is a Kelly. Here's a pic with the logo shown.

photo_02.jpg
photo_02.jpg (221.92 KiB) Viewed 720 times