Colorsound F/W/S Project (D*A*M inspired) - Help Meh?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

drasp

Colorsound F/W/S Project (D*A*M inspired) - Help Meh?

Post by drasp »

I'm just digging in on saving one of these. . .a little help from someone familiar w/ the fuzz circuit would be GREATLY appreciated. I'll update this thread later w/ my progress.

I'd seen what D. Main did w/ one & when I saw one up for grabs, I went against my better judgment & hit it. For those not familiar w/ the D*A*M custom piece, check > > >HERE< < <

Pix of mine here:

Mine is a bit of a basket case, and pretty badly rusted, but it actually works & the pot(s) are even quiet. The little trimmer on the fuzz board is soldered in place & there is evidence of some ham fisted repairs on the traces around it. Looks like one of the spacers went missing the board shorted @ the cap which has been replaced w/ a jumper. Also, there are 3 new holes in the pedal, so I have added 1) a Boss style DC jack, 2) an external vol. pot for the fuzz volume & 3) an external gain pot for the fuzz. On mine there is already a separate stomp for both the fuzz circuit & the wah/vol. This makes the rotary selector unnecessary. I posted this project on a popular DIY forum & got some good responses re: the Fuzz circuit, evidently, its a tweaked Si FF circuit (makes sense). Based on this advice, I'll probably replace the missing 100n cap, use a 1k pot for the gain & a 47k pot for volume (which, I'm told should yield better bottom end). I'd like to leave the stomps & wah/vol pot (double gang, might be a PITA to source) in place as they seem to function just fine (for now). Can always change 'em up later if the need arises. For now, I'm after a tidy up & getting it 100% functional + the above mentioned mods.

Any suggestions for other stuff to clean-up while the boards are out? Anyone happen to have a schematic or experience w/ this circuit?
Attachments
PCBs - solder side
PCBs - solder side
DSCF0045.JPG (316.17 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
tatter

Re: Colorsound F/W/S Project (D*A*M inspired) - Help Meh?

Post by tatter »

I have a wah/fuzz/straight but my fuzz and wah are both on the same circuitboard, the trimmer on mine affects the fuzz volume. Never realised it was a fuzz face derivative, i'd always assumed that it was a stripped down version of the jumbo tonebender as that is the fuzz is in the other wah/fuzz/swells with the 3 knobs on.

I find that the fuzz on mine sounds nice on it's own but not too good with the wah on as well, it gets a bit thin and doesn't cut through too well.

There are loads of photos of colorsound wahs and gutshots elsewhere on this forum courtesy of graham and his mammoth collection!
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
drasp

Re: Colorsound F/W/S Project (D*A*M inspired) - Help Meh?

Post by drasp »

Cool. Thanks for the info. Obviously, I'm new here, and I need to spend a bit more time digging around. Jeeze this place is NOT safe for credit cards. . . :freakout: