MKII for HEAVY shit!

Tone-Bending electronic fuzz unit, harmonic generator with 20 second sustain.

Moderator: The Captain

slomatic

MKII for HEAVY shit!

Post by slomatic »

Right so....

As a longtime D*A*M user and abuser, the MKII just never hit me as a "heavy" fuzz. MAn was I wrong!!! I now have a MKII on my board, along with a Meat, Ram and Titan, and right now the MKII is getting stomped on the most. The low end on this thing is crazy, the fuzz character suits drop tunings perfectly (right down to F#!!) , and the amount of gain on tap is insane - like really, really insane. We actually laughed out loud in the studio about how heavy it sounded, the bloom on the notes is like a fucking earthquake :headpop:

It's still a vintage tone, but one that is perfect for the whole range of Melvins/Kyuss/Neurosis style riffs too. I'm not sure what I was thinking before, but the MKII rules the roost for heavy stuff. I'll never be without it from here on in.

Anyone else using it one for heavy rockin?
Volume over talent
skybone

Re: MKII for HEAVY shit!

Post by skybone »

Yup, they're great... especially when they're high gain versions as well... :twisted:
i love sharin foo

Post by i love sharin foo »

The only MKII I have is one of the JMIs but I have to agree. It sounds really great for this kind of stuff, especially with the amp really cooking already. My amps tend to get brighter when pushed harder with boosters and pedals with lots of volume. So I use the output level on the pedal as a kind of crude tone shaper. Eventually I really want to get ahold of a D*A*M MKII though :hihi:
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

That's why i love this place, mention the word 'heavy' and the usual suspects chime in! Good job. My MKII is the AC125 version, are those particularly hot? Its seriously as fuzz heavy as a Meathead, with more gain than ill ever need! Just to much fun to play with, its one of those fuzzes that makes me play way longer than intended.
Volume over talent
duende

Post by duende »

FWIW, my MK II is WAAAAY heavier than my Titan.

When the gain is cranked on the Titan, it's heavy, but also a modern heavy in way. As it has this almost sheen to the sound due to it's huge frequency content.

The MK II just lays bricks wherever you take it. Retro, but rightfully authentic too. Like it paved the way.

Love 'em both. But lately I've been more into my '66. Just into making noise with less noise these days it seems.
skybone

Post by skybone »

duende wrote:FWIW, my MK II is WAAAAY heavier than my Titan.

When the gain is cranked on the Titan, it's heavy, but also a modern heavy in way. As it has this almost sheen to the sound due to it's huge frequency content.

The MK II just lays bricks wherever you take it. Retro, but rightfully authentic too. Like it paved the way.

Love 'em both. But lately I've been more into my '66. Just into making noise with less noise these days it seems.
And that's why I love the Titan too. Big, tight and angry, especially into an amp that's pushed to the max. Modern sounding, but in an old fashioned "classic" way... if you know what I mean. :marx:

My MkII's a triple (black) OC71 version, marked "High Gain". I was just after a standard MkII, but Dave tweaked it into a snarling beastie.
HydrozeenElectronics

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

Lets hear some tunes, I would love to hear the riff's in f#
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

There is some stuff on our Myspace in f, but nothin with the bender just yet. Its still being mixed. The Myspace stuff is all titan and meat, with a hint of ram. I agree with Skybone on the titan too, i'd describe the sound as hi fi, in a good way too.
Volume over talent
the watcher

Post by the watcher »

Totally agreed, the MKII is a bad ass mofo.

I'll be taking my bass tuned AC125 into the studio at the weekend, I seriously love this pedal!

PS, I recently picked up an EQD Crimson Drive, it's a germanium overdrive - highly recommended if you like the idea of a Titan mixed with a MKII.